2013 RWTC

HoosierDeereMan

Re: 2013 RWTC

Post by HoosierDeereMan »

Brian,

What a great write up! Yes, work interfered with me being able to attend this years event. Having ridden in the VC challenge a few times and being familiar with the fuel stops and the trails your recollection made it feel just like I was there. You are definately the "Iron Man" of the Vintage Challenge! 5 times and counting on the same X8. Pretty impressive.

Another thing that impressed me was how many of the Deere guys finished. There is alot of preparation and hard work that goes into having a sled ready for this event. The lack of a Deere attrition rate this year is a testiment to that. It always amazes the other brand guys how big and loyal the Deere fan base is. If and when someone has a problem they are all willing to jump in and help out on the trail and not just with Deere either. The knowledge base of this group is vast. I know the goal is for everyone to finish the VC but there is a pride thing that goes along with knowing that your group had the best showing. Congratulations to all of you on finishing the VC ride. I also want to offer a special congatulations to Mrs. Bennett, the first woman to complete the VC ride on a Deere. This group did us proud!

Troy
'72 400
'73 400, (2)500's, 600
'74 295/S (restored) 2010 HOF poker run survivor.
'75 800, JDX8,
'75 340/S 2011 & 2012 Vintage Challenge finisher.
'76 (2)400's
'78 Liquifire 340,440
'79 Spitfire
"If it has Tits, Tires, or Tracks it's gonna cost you money!"
JDT

Post by JDT »

Brian I want to thank you for your recap.

Exillirating to read. Congrats on your unbroken record also.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Thanks for all the nice comments.

When we walked into the Whitetail for the banquet, we ran into the Rainville's, and Joe was wearing glasses again. I asked what the deal was with that, and the reply was that when he had walked into the motel, they gave them to him. Someone had found them, and left them at the desk, and they were undamaged! Talk about a stroke of good fortune.

All the tables in the place were filled, but when the autograph session ended, they setup a few more, so we joined the Bennetts, Chris, and Dustin, and were later joined by Craig Marchbank. The meal was Prime Rib, and it was delicious, but its rare appearance was unappetizing to some in the group. Chris was sure his was still twitching a bit .
My wife generally wants her meat cooked black, but even she admits that while it looks really rare, it tastes cooked.
Dustin was urging the squeamish to dip it in the cup of drippins they had included, and eat it.

Joe was called up to report on the VC, and he took some notes along to refer to. However as soon as he got up there, they started in on him about the tree, and had Dustin bring the windshield up, and the notes never got looked at. He did award the Larsen's the first out award as a family, and that was it. So I'm going to make those remarks here and now:

The 2013 Vintage Challenge saw a high percentage of finishers, the participants are demonstrating a high degree of preparedness, and are to be commended. This year saw the first ever finish by a JD Liquidator, ridden by Tod Meyer of Buffalo, New York. Tod's son Chris was the youngest finisher ever at 11, riding a JD Sprintfire. Mindy Bennett was the first woman to finish on a vintage sled, a 78 LF. And one of the finishers had completed his 5th straight Vintage Challenge on a mid-mount Deere.

After the meal, much of the rest of the evening was spent in the vicinity of the bar. Tod was playing the video from the days ride on the bar TV, and a couple of beers may have been consumed.
Attachments
Dustin Elder, Bob Anderson, JDJR
Dustin Elder, Bob Anderson, JDJR
The Larsen's being awarded first out.
The Larsen's being awarded first out.
Last edited by 400brian on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
skoalmint

Post by skoalmint »

Great story Brian,I enjoyed it very much.Thanks for taking the time to do this . Maybe next yr i will make it.Thanks Brock
400brian

Post by 400brian »

The Wife an I had a great weekend. Hanging out and riding with old friends, and making the acquaintance of new, the RWTC weekend is a blast. It all goes by so fast, I'm glad Tod has it on video so we can revisit it from time to time.

This may have been the last time we ride up to Fishtails for a while. We have done it 5 years now, and that by itself suggests that a change of scenery might be in order. Also, the Michigan trail pass is now up to $45, which certainly adds to a weekend that I've never heard anyone describe as cheap.

The ride up into the UP will no doubt remain as an option, as often the snow conditions north of Cisco have been far better. The RWTC committee will probably be studying the options, and I imagine the Vintage Challenge group will tag along. This might introduce a new element of fun, as none of us will know where we are going.

You may have noticed that many of the participants have returned more than once, that indicates to me that these folks have decided that the event is worth the time and expense of attending. Make plans to join us next Feb. and see if you agree.

'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
stymie

Post by stymie »

brian
i just wanted wanted to say thank you for the wonderful recap!!! I had a great time with you and your wife both chatting and riding. i dont what you did to my son chris but hes talking about riding a mid mount for next year. i dont know about that! :bonk: im glad to have such good friends. again thank you!
tod
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hello Brian and other RWTC riders,

We had a great time again this year. So impressed with the way Jeff runs the Friday Poker Run!

My "Wes Smith 78CC" run OK this year with a new Comet 102 but still short 5 or so mph on the top side. John and his Cyclone had excessive fuel burn (full tank in 37 miles) so he run the ZRT on Saturday and got a chance to pull a Phaser faster than it went when it was on its own power! Johns' Cyclone is a great link to a 340/s without the cost to own and repair. He had put the Arctic rubber track and 80LF driver conversion on it. No cleats...unlike the 340/s.

I am getting a bit frustrated with the guides bringing up the back of the pack for the Saturday events. We kinda get taken out into the woods and are left to find our way to the next stop, if we stop and assist a fellow vintage sled. WI has a maize of trails in St. Germain which I think would be perfect for a sled mounted GPS and trail map app with the "days" route preloaded. Something I am going to work on this year..

Brian I must say your passion for the mid mounts is great! They are the sleds I started working on in the day when I was a young mechanic at our local JD dealer. So I know first hand that they have their own set of issues which you seem to have solved at least 5 years ago. Congratulations!!!

See you next year as we reserved the room again as we left the Whitetail.

keith
harleysportster

Post by harleysportster »

One helpful tip that the guides should stress is that when passing thru an intersection, look back to see if anyone is behind and wait for the next person to show up before proceding.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

harleysportster wrote:One helpful tip that the guides should stress is that when passing thru an intersection, look back to see if anyone is behind and wait for the next person to show up before proceding.
Where's the "like" button. I will be buying a glove mounted mirror before riding there again. I'm not good or agile enough to keep turning around.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

If you have a smart phone....you can download the free Polaris Trails App.

This shows the snowmobile trail system along with gas and lodging locations. It will follow your route for the day as well. Im not sure if you can map out a route on it or not.

You can download the trail maps onto a GPS unit too. They make handle bar mounts for motorcycles that can be used on sleds as well.

Great write up Brian!

:letitsnow:
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
Norton

Post by Norton »

Eric,
I do not own a smart phone but did see them used on the trail with the Polaris trail app. Great but did not tell you where the rest of the pack turned, if one wanted to follow the exact trail they were on only moments before. Then the RWTC folks need to map this route ahead of time and pass this on to us before we go. Benefit would be fewer, guide riders needed and fewer missed intersections. This is off subject for this thread so I am thinking of doing some research and doing a post in General Fourms this summer. I know their are folks out their that have the answer so I/we do not have to reinvent the wheel. Maybe have to add a battery under the hood to power all this stuff. How would a 10 inch yellow dome Deere GPS receiver look on a Liquifire hood?? (-:

keith
400brian

Post by 400brian »

In the past, we have always just driven around aimlessly until we get to where we want to be, then we aren't lost anymore! :beers;

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress