2018 RWTC

About the Snowmobile Hall of Fame's Ride With the Champs event.
400brian

Re: 2018 RWTC

Post by 400brian »

It is always great to get to Fishtales! To sit on something that is not bouncing is welcome, and I always arrive hungry. It is a chance to refresh, refuel, and recharge. The Rainville nephews are saying they are famished, and as soon as the staff has the buffet restocked from the departing late model crew, we are in the chow line.

There is lighthearted banter going on as we recount the morning's ride. There are of course texts being sent, Facebook pages updated and all that, everyone has to stay connected.

As lunch is winding down, tables are being cleared, and a few of the guys are out in the hallway getting suited back up, when a gal comes in and asks if we are ready for desert? We are guys, we are kinda noncommittal about that, she says hang on a minute, I will be right back. So we stand around, getting more antsy by the second. We are not good at waiting. we are ready to get going again. I see her come out of the kitchen with a large tray with small bowls on it. I hear one of the guys in the hall ask her what she has there, and she replies: bread pudding. At that the guys in the hall returned to the dinning room, and everyone got a bowl and a spoon! This was very different from the bread pudding my mother or wife makes, but it was tasty, and it disappeared quickly. As I was standing up to head out, Josh Rainville, who was wolfing the pudding down asks; what is this? About 4 different guys say in unison; BREAD PUDDING! Josh nods and between shoveling it down says; it's not bad! That got a laugh out of everyone.

We head out the door to refuel the sleds. Most of us are fueling out of cans we have in the trailer, a few head for the pump. Once the tanks are topped off and everyone has assembled out on the lake, we take off in a cloud of snow and 2 stroke smoke.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

The ride south is never quite as exciting as the trip north, but we are soon back in the groove and settled in. As we come to the intersection at the south end of the lake with the trail that comes down from the west shore, we stop. We are running in a tight pack, so we are not regrouping, then I see the hood come up on the Dator! I am towards the rear of the group, so I can't tell much about what is going on, but it looks like my suspicion that the Dator would wind up on the rope was coming to pass! I took this photo to commemorate the event.
Attachments
029.JPG

'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

After I got the shot, I rode up to the front to give Rainville the business. However, when I walked over, he assured me that all was well, that he had just dropped a cylinder due to a fouled plug. He comes out with this huge open/box end wrench, and proceeds to remove the plugs. Both are very hot, and both look pretty good to me. He screws in a new set, fires the thing back up, it sounds good! He latches the hood and yells: lets go! So, we saddle up and get underway once more. I believe that was the last time we stopped for any kind of a sled issue on the return trip.

As usual, the trails have degraded a bit, but they are still fair. We met a groomer on the east / west RR grade, but it was no smoother behind him than in our lane, so I really don't know what he was doing other than burning diesel. We make the south run down to Cisco, make our way across the chain, and yes, you cannot miss that that there is something going on at Bent's Camp! A huge number of sleds parked on the lake, and people standing around. Jim has the truck and trailer parked out on the lake, we pull up and waste no time in getting topped off.

According to my notes, we arrived at Bent's at 4:08 pm.

That is Dustin Elder's 800 sitting in front with the hood flipped up. I don't know if he was cooling it off or what, but he rode it like he stole it all day, and as far as I know he had no issues with it.
Attachments
030.JPG
031.JPG

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

OK, the last fuel stop is complete, we have 40 miles to pound out...let's get it done! We depart Bent's and head south. As I have said, this always seems interminable to me on the way back. We made no wrong turns, everything is going good. The trails aren't nearly as beat up as we have seen in previous years, but the bogies aren't smoothing things out much.

The landmark I am waiting to see is the intersection of the ground trail to Sayner and the trail that takes us to Star lake. We are zipping through the woods, I am having a good time, I am feeling confident in the green machine again, but a hot shower and a cold beverage is sounding really good at this point!

Finally we arrive at the intersection! We are really on the down hill run now! For some reason I just feel so much relief once we are past that point, I can't really explain it. Stillwater's is doing good business as we pass, heading down to the lake. We have a nice run across the lake, it is so cool to see all these vintage sleds out here running, snow flying off the skis, dust billowing from the back, AWESOME!

Plum Lake is another nice run, and then we are in Sayner! We re-group at the gas station, and we are missing some sleds. Jim has the trailer sitting across the street if we need it. After a few minutes, the stragglers arrive. It seems that Brian Olson is having an issue with the Puma. It is running, but will only do around 20 mph. Joe points out that he can put it on the trailer if he wants, but he thinks it will make the last 10 miles, and he wants to try. OK, lets go.

Rainville generally wants me behind him on this last section to keep him on the right trail. We have 2 intersections, 2 right turns. On the last one, Joe stops to make sure everyone makes the turn. This is the last real intersection of the day, I make the turn and put it to the wood! This trail is always smooth and fast! I don't want to end the day in the trees, but I am pushing the green machine as hard as I dare, which is not quite as hard as I would the X8 it would seem. The trees are zipping by, and I can see that blinding blue LED headlight of Elder's in the trees ahead of me. I assumed he was right behind me, but he later told me that he was actually several sleds back.

We made the turn into the ditch along "C", and made the run down to HYW 70. I turned and headed the quarter mile to the motel, and on arrival made my customary Victory Lap around the parking lot. I parked the sled and was dragging my butt off of it, when I heard a sled. I looked over to see Dustin Elder along side. WE MADE IT! he yells. Indeed we did. The first bogie sleds to do the Vintage Challenge, and I don't mind sharing that distinction with Dustin one bit. It was fun, it was one heck of a day! :beers;

And yes, we returned slightly after dark. 6:15 pm is what I noted in the motel parking lot.
Last edited by 400brian on Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks again Brian for sharing the story. :sled: Always makes me feel like I was there.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Old Yamy

Post by Old Yamy »

Thanks Brian
That was a fun read.