question

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
SteveR

question

Post by SteveR »

79 340 trailfire runs 20 - 30 minutes then lays down. will idle at about 3500 rpm for 3-5 minutes then ready to go again. Been told the stator could be the problem. How do I check it and what should the reading be when I do? When it starts back back up it smells very rich of fuel. Have checked and cleaned the secondary clutch and it runs good otherwise. Just looses power the longer it runs. Doesn't miss fire.
RobertJDTRF

Re: question

Post by RobertJDTRF »

I have the same issue (same model and year!) and been looking for some help. Starts on first pull when cold then bogs down and eventually dies after running for some time. Just put in new drive bearings last night and ran it for some time on the lift before I stored it for the year. It was 50 degrees yesterday and it only ran for 10 minutes then started acting up. Goes longer when its winter. Will not start until it sits for an hour or more. Rebuilt the engine last year new, rings, crank seals, gaskets etc. New fuel pump, new gas lines.
Matt

Re: question

Post by Matt »

Ignition issue - either stator or CDI. The electrical components will be fine when cold, but start to fail when they heat up.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator