tools, techniques, shortcuts, bargains

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Liquifire 4/6

Re: tools, techniques, shortcuts, bargains

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Hey there have been no posts in this thread since 2016? Surely, somebody must have had a good idea since then? Post something if you have one!
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Well, it's been awhile but I finally came up with another shop idea that works well for me. I always found it frustrating lifting sled engines out of chassis because if you want to handle them with a chain hoist, it's always difficult to find anywhere to attach the chain to. I made up a short chain with a washer welded to the last link on each end. The washer ID is just large enough for the plug to go into. I chose a washer with a small enough OD so that it will fit into the slightly recessed plug holes on many sled cylinder heads. I bent the washer slightly up an one side and welded the chain link to it. Place the washer on the plug hole and then screw the plug into the head. Make sure the plug is all the way down so that you are not stressing the plug hole threads when lifting. It works great and it is easy to balance the engine to get it sitting level. Here are some pics.
Attachments
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

Great idea Peter.
Thanks for responding to your own post....and one year later to the day....
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

For a speedometer with a needle that hunts all over the place, try installing a small O-ring inside the upper cable fitting before tightening it onto the speedo. It probably won't solve the irritating problem on every sled but it totally corrected the issue on my 1978 Ski-Doo Elite and also went a long way towards fixing the problem on my 78 JD Cyclone.
Attachments
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG