73 JDX4 project

This is where you can post the story & photos of your John Deere Snowmobile project.
rkchainsaw

73 JDX4 project

Post by rkchainsaw »

I have a 73 JDX4 with a K2952AX. I am just starting the process to make this a rider machine.

Some questions I have so far are: can I find some new rubber motor mounts? Can I find a fuel check valve that goes in the fuel tank? Matt has sent me the link for the engine seals.

I did a compression check and both cylinders are 120+. I am ok with that.

I have some photos of the machine.
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1650.JPG
Obviously I need a seat, and not sure how the fuel tank is going to clean out. Hopefully this will be a worthwhile project.
AirborneX4Special

Re: 73 JDX4 project

Post by AirborneX4Special »

Not bad at all. Looks pretty straight up and you even have the engine cover.
rkchainsaw

Post by rkchainsaw »

I tore it down a little tonight and some of the things I will need to find are some rubber motor mounts and clutch removal tool. I'm also in the process of cleaning the rust out of the fuel tank. Is there a good aftermarket vintage snowmobile parts magazine/website????
rkchainsaw

Post by rkchainsaw »

Working on it today. Trying to pull the clutch off. I want to put new seals on the crankshaft without tearing it down. Anyone know where I can find a jdm-28 clutch puller or another one from a different machine that will work?
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

I think Newbreed Parts has them.?
rkchainsaw

Post by rkchainsaw »

Image[/img]Well it's been awhile since I last posted. Since I last posted, I was at a standstill. However, with he abundance of snow this year, I got the itch again. Unfortunately I'm probably not going to run it on a trail this year, but I hope to have it ready for next season. I did replace the engine seals, cleaned out the carb and replaced the head gaskets. The cylinders looked pretty good considering the length of time it was out of service. So today I was able to hook up a temp fuel source and turned it over. No electric start so I am rewinding by hand as I am still looking for the pawl assembly for the recoil. But it did fire up and ran for a short time. I never replaced the spark plugs, so the is my next move. I didn't want to start ordering a bunch of parts unti I was sure the the motor was going to run. Its still stripped down, but I hope that will soon change.
I was reading the service manual about the gas and oil recomendatios. The manual says that if you don't use JD 2 cycle oil(50:1) you should be mixing off brand oil at 20:1. Wow that is a rich mixture. The fuel I harm using to try and get it running is 32:1. Any comments?

[img]
Attachments
IMG_1710-2.JPG
jdsledhead

Post by jdsledhead »

Just reading this thread that hasn't been updated in exactly one year. What a coincidence. haha.

I would run 50:1 with any modern 2-stroke "mineral" oil. AKA - standard oil, doesn't need to be synthetic. I run Arctic Cat "injection oil" as that's what my newer Cat runs (no power valves).

Back to the sled - that chassis looks CLEAN. Jealous! My first sled was a 73 JDX4. Unfortunately, it succumbed to rust about 10-15 years ago. I was loosely looking for another one, finally finding one about a month ago that's clean enough to restore. Yours looks even better!

Glad to read you got the crank seals done. The Walbro carbs can be a bit of a pain to tune, but IMO worth the effort to learn. Clean the fuel system well, run a filter, rebuild the carb.

Good luck getting it back on the snow!
Tim Kudla

73 JDX4
80 Spitfire
82 Trailfire 340
84 Trailfire 440
10 SnoPro 500
tukeiam

Post by tukeiam »

So I have a JDX4 Special sled that I have had for over 40 years. The engine is from my old 72 JD 400 so kind of a Frankenstein! But it runs sweet. I ride it every year. This year I am doing some refurb on it and I saw in this thread that motor mounts were needed. I need them also is there a source or replacement pieces?
400brian

Post by 400brian »

A Bobcat part is said to be a useable substitute. Google: Bobcat 6560633

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.