Can’t budge 79 liquified clutch

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Fess

Can’t budge 79 liquified clutch

Post by Fess »

Picked up this project sled and am using the right puller but can’t get it to budge with impact or breaker bar. I’ve done other stubborn clutches before but not like this one. I’ve let it sit for days in penetrating oil. Tried some heat but not a lot for fear of hurting something. Any tips or tricks or advice?
Vader440

Re: Can’t budge 79 liquified clutch

Post by Vader440 »

I had one like this a few years back and tried this trick I picked up from another forum. Pure water into the bolt hole, put thread tape on the threads of the puller and tighten it into the clutch just enough to start to hydraulic the water. Make sure the water is not leaking around the tape. Set outside in the cold, below freezing, and when it freezes the ice will swell and pop the clutch of. It worked for me really well for me. I hope I explained that well enough to understand.
nick80lf

Post by nick80lf »

Worst one I dealt with, I let it set with tension on the puller for about a week with penatrating oil. Every day I would try to tighten it a little more. Also heated with a heat gun several times during this week. Finally one day while heating it gave up the fight in a pretty dramatic way.
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
snowmoer

Post by snowmoer »

Just to clarify when you are looking for parts. It sounds like you sled will be a 1980 Liquifire. They did not make them for the 79 model year. The date stamp on the tunnel will show a manufactured date in the summer of 79, but they are an 80 model year. This throws people off. I do like Nick does on stubborn ones. Some tension, PB Blaster, let sit. A little more tension, more PB and sit. It can take some time, but they will come off.
Dan
1981 Liquifire
1984 Sportfire
1984 Trailfire LX
1996 Yamaha V Max Mountain Max
2018 Ski Doo Summit Sport
2021 Ski Doo Grand Touring Sport
Popcorn popper

Post by Popcorn popper »

I used water trick on my 81 liquifire. First time i used. Unbelievable how it works. I never had luck with thread tape so used the thread sealant. Boom came right off