295/S & 340/S Paint color

Contains tips for painting and codes that our members have used.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Are the colors for the 340/S & the 295/S the Same??
I have a Dupont base color called Elkhart Green ( 1972 GM color ) I got this off a 295/S tunnel using a color computer paint camera
I also have a PPG color called Olive Met, I think Mark sent me this??? for the 295/S
Do these sound right??
Are these the color of the 295/s or the 340/S or both?? Were having a couple of 295/S hoods done up & I want to be right on this before I get them back & there wrong.

Thanks for any help

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
jddecalguy

Post by jddecalguy »

kenny,

is the 76-77 cyclone different than the 340s and the 295s? i had a nos cyclone hood shot and the color came back as follows......

MBC2781 A
dk green poly

recipe guide: MBC2781 A
m111...............120.7
m129................61.6
m108................28.0
m125................20.8
m118................18.7
m150...............249.8

this is the recipe for omni AU MBC basecoat

this is a basecoat clearcoat paint.

hope this might help you
chris
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I think it is different, none of those numbers relate to what I have????

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
jddecalguy

Post by jddecalguy »

the code that i posted is for omni paint not ppg or dupont it is omni brand i got it at auto value parts store. the reason that i asked the question if they were all the same color, is that to get this color i did alot of leg work and it is spot on match.

chris
jddecalguy

Post by jddecalguy »

btw kenny if you want to use it i will ship you the pint that i have and gave you the paint code from. this is basecoat clearcoat paint so you will have to clearcoat it after you paint it 1 pint paint does two hoods.

chris
JRC ETD

Post by JRC ETD »

This is really important to me as I have seen the wrong variations on many different sleds. My #54 340?s has the original factory paint....should we sample off of this? JRC
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

I took my NOS hood to Sherwin-Williams in Fort Wayne (Indiana) and they came up with a great formula I think. Don
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
tieszo6

Post by tieszo6 »

Does anyone have the Dator paint code?

Mark
jddecalguy

Post by jddecalguy »

I have been painting (mostly snowmobile hoods, did insurance repair)for 15 years. to say that you have the color is only a half truth. meaning, that there are many, many variables to paint,primer color, coats, temp.,type and or brand of clearcoat, dry time, tack time, etc... so what i'm trying to say is there could be 30 different combination, and paint mixtures and depending on how they are sprayed, and who sprays them, they could all give you the same final product or all be different. the brand of paint that i gave the code for was a color that was came up with from taking an NOS cyclone hood buffing an area to remove any imperfections and than shot with a color finding paint camera. when spraying this paint and using AutoBody Master #8900v urethane clear, all over the top of buff colored urethane primer. i was able to hit the color of the original cyclone hood spot on under the nature light (setup for painting so the color doesn't change when taken outside from inside) in my shop.

i hope that this sheds some light on this subject or maybe clouds it more!LOL :lol:

i am not saying that what i have is the answer but it was what work for me.

chris
jddecalguy

Post by jddecalguy »

in answer to the dator paint code yes i have that here also would have to look for it. if i remember right i got that code from wadeo108 to do his 550 liquidator it was spot on to my real dator that was sitting along side it.

chris
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Rich, I took one of my 295/S tunnels in to a body shop & we removed the rubber foot threads from the sled to get the right scan for the computer, I have that in Dupont.
it came out & this is what it says
5426K ---- Chromeabase BC ----------------- Alt: CF01
Car General motors Corp.
Code 4284 ---------------- Year 1972
Color -- Elkhart Green
Value Shade # 5
Metallic/iridescent Content > 5 Grams/Liter
** Non-Cum Guide ---------- Mix Size 16oz. (pint)
4530S Flop Control Agent ------------ 58.4
832J Green ----------------------------- 36.7
891J Transox Red ---------------------- 13.9
806J HS Black ---------------------------- 5.3
811J Med Aluminum --------------------- 4.7
846J Yellow Orange ---------------------- 3.5
890J Transox Yelo ------------------------ 3.2
150K B/C Balancer --------------------- 232.1
175K Binder ------------------------------ 76.1

Then it repeats but also changes???? this is what confuses me, but I know nothing about paint

5426K ---- Chromeabase BC ----------------- Alt: CF01
Car General motors Corp.
Code 4284 ---------------- Year 1972
Color -- Elkhart Green
Value Shade # 5
Metallic/iridescent Content > 5 Grams/Liter

5462K CC: Chromabase BC --- Alt: CF01
Mix Size: 16 oz. (pint)

4530S Flop Control Agent ----------------- 58.4
832J Green --------------------------------- 95.1
891J Transox Red ------------------------ 109.0
806J HS Black ----------------------------- 114.3
811J Med Aluminum ----------------------- 119.0
846J Yellow Orange ----------------------- 122.5
890J Transox Yelo ------------------------- 125.7
150K B/C Balancer ------------------------ 357.8
175K Binder -------------------------------- 433.9

So why the difference in the mix if there both for a pint??

Rich let me know if this is what you get also..

Kenny
The S Man

Post by The S Man »

Back when I did my 295 resto I too took a in a tunnel and had it computer scanned in an area that saw no sun light. They too can up with what you have Kenny. But from what I was told the color will always be alittle off as some of the chemicals used to produce that paint in are no longer available and that why they never seem to be perfect...

ROn
She thinks all my jokes are corny,Convict movies make her horny
She likes ketchup on her scrambled eggs, Swears like a sailor when she shaves her legs.....John Prine
75rat

Post by 75rat »

Kenny,

I scanned the green paint under the rubber foot treads on my 295/S too and the new paint came out pretty darn close to the original color. They also gave me the formula printout, but I've managed to misplace it - dooh! Still looking.....

Although I usually prefer spraying b/c (basecoat/clearcoat) paints, I used Dupont Centari single stage because it looks closer to the enamel paints originally used by JD. The new b/c paints look great, but maybe a bit too nice, IMHO.

BTW; I believe the Elkhart Green is a Corvette color; you'll be in good company.

Can't wait to see your 295/S when done,
Jim
jddecalguy

Post by jddecalguy »

kenny,
in answer to your question about the two different recipes. there are the same, but there are to ways to measure out paint GRAMS, and i believe the other is parts per million not sure on the second but i am sure about two ways to way paint. all my ppg paint cans have two recipes on them. you could ask a body man to make sure.

chris