Late model hood repair

Frequently Asked Questions for Kawasaki-Powered
mikehjd

Late model hood repair

Post by mikehjd »

I have hood for an 80 sportfire and it is broken down the back where the hood tie downs are. Can anyone tell me the best way to repair this hood.
jddecalguy

Late model hood repair

Post by jddecalguy »

With a great deal of trial and error this is what i have found to work the best. Please note that this does NOT apply to fiberglass hoods.

1. Start by throughly cleaning the area to be repaired.

2. Rough up repair area with 80 grit sand paper making sure to cut grooves in all directions. Clean again and dry.

3. Use 3M Automix 5883A and 5883B plastic repair kit and fiberglass mesh tape. The repair kit is available through most parts stores that sell auto body supplies, and the fiber glass mesh tape is used as a drywall tape.

4. Mix part A and part B from the 3M kit as the directions say. Apply to repair area. Press fiber glass tape into repair area. Apply second coat from 3M kit. This combination bonds better then fiberglass.

5. After the repair has hardened, flip the hood to the top side and repeat steps 1. though 3., but without the fiber glass tape. Sand smooth, prime, and paint.

I have been using this process for several years with a great deal of success. I hope that it helps with the restoration of JD fire series hoods.

jddeacalguy :D
Last edited by jddecalguy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikehjd

Late model hood repair

Post by mikehjd »

Thanks for the reply. How do I hold the area together while the mixture sets because the hood is spread apart at the crack?
jddecalguy

Late model hood repair

Post by jddecalguy »

If possible, use duct tape on the the crack to hold it together, unless it has stretched too far for that to work.

Otherwise, take a piece of lath (a straight, thin piece of wood or metal) and a couple drywall screws, and run them through from the outside of the hood. Repair the bottom side, then remove the screws and lath, and repair the top side. Then repair the holes with the same process.

jddecalguy
Chris
Matt

Late model hood repair

Post by Matt »

Edited and moved to FAQ.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator