Liquifire Performance Reccomendations

Frequently Asked Questions for Kawasaki-Powered
gracer

Liquifire Performance Reccomendations

Post by gracer »

My 81 Liquifire is hard to start after being warmed up.

A quick history. The sled was not running when I purchased it. So I went through it front top to bottom. The carbs are clean. Fresh hone and pistons and gaskets. New 108 clutch. New fuel pump ect…

Here is my issue.. The sled will start and run when cold. Just flip the choke and it will fire and warm up as expected and you can ride it. However once warm and you shut it off.. It is very hard to start. It will only start without any choke and zero throttle. Then it will putt putt sputter and die. Keep pulling (and pulling) and it will usually sputter to life and idle about 300 rpm. Touch the throttle it will die. Repeat this process and it may sputter up by feathering the throttle and run. By now I too tired to ride it. Let it sit over night or about 3-5 hours and it will run.

This sled has the major liquifire bog. Once up and on the pipe it scoots along.

My carb cutaways are 3.0. All the jets is in the carburetor are new. Running Stock
The electrical system is stock Stator, CDI, Coil. I have not changed the timing.

Looking to improve my Liquifire experience. This is the second year of with this sled with this condition.

Thanks

Greg
pjr

Re: 81 LF issue.

Post by pjr »

gracer wrote:My 81 Liquifire is hard to start after being warmed up.

A quick history. The sled was not running when I purchased it. So I went through it front top to bottom. The carbs are clean. Fresh hone and pistons and gaskets. New 108 clutch. New fuel pump ect…

Here is my issue.. The sled will start and run when cold. Just flip the choke and it will fire and warm up as expected and you can ride it. However once warm and you shut it off.. It is very hard to start. It will only start without any choke and zero throttle. Then it will putt putt sputter and die. Keep pulling (and pulling) and it will usually sputter to life and idle about 300 rpm. Touch the throttle it will die. Repeat this process and it may sputter up by feathering the throttle and run. By now I too tired to ride it. Let it sit over night or about 3-5 hours and it will run.

This sled has the major liquifire bog. Once up and on the pipe it scoots along.

My carb cutaways are 3.0. All the jets is in the carburetor are new. Running Stock
The electrical system is stock Stator, CDI, Coil. I have not changed the timing.

Looking to improve my Liquifire experience. This is the second year of with this sled with this condition.

Thanks

Greg
Greg,
Sounds like you've got the engine built and sealed up correctly, including the carbs, so here is what I *strongly* suggest that you do to this machine to make it REALLY run hard! I've had two 80's L/F's in my day and each of them were total performance turds when set-up to factory specs, where I couldn't stand to ride them because of the sluggish performance that I thought was unacceptable coming from John Deer's flagship sled of that day.

Like you, I was VERY disappointed with the performance and if you've read any of my past threads/posts on this board over the last 1 1/2 years, you'll find that I'm all about performance and efficiency no matter what I'm working on, as it's just my way as part of my profession/career. Follow my instructions here based on what I've personally done to BOTH sleds I've had and you'll have a new machine, where your "riding experience" this year will now be much better...

1. Cylinder Heads:
Ditch the low performance, low compression stockers that come on the John Deere Fireburst Kawasaki's and install a set of late 70's - early 80's Kawaski Invader heads instead. The bump in compression not only bolsters low-end torque, but it makes the engine purr along much nicer at all engine speeds. Plus it's **FARRRRRR** more responsive to throttle input than you ever thought it could be.

2. Ignition Timing:
Increase the intial ignition timing by approx. 3*-4* by turning the Stator back in the opposite direction of normal engine rotation, by placing the little timing mark tip on the Stator housing to the left (or top if you will..) of the timing mark on the case by 2mm. This will ***REALLY*** wake up the engine, make it easier to start and make it massively more throttle responsive also. Plus, you can still use 93 octane pump fuel.

3. Track:
The John Deere specs for track tension adjustment is just ***WAYYYYYYY*** to damn tight for that heavy duty, thick, Yokohama rubber track these L/F's use, where if you adjust it to the factory specs, it puts a ***LOTTTTTTTT*** of unnessary drag and additional load on the engine that eats up a TON of power! First, set the tension to factory JD specs, making sure it tracks straight on the bogies by running the sled in the air so the track can spin freely. Then loosen the tension adjustment bolts 2 full turns from that point and lock them down. You'll not only notice the sled will coast much easier when you let off the throttle, but you'll not have that artificial "braking" effect like you had before when the track was dragging, due to the tight JD specs. Do this upgrade and you will have free'd up a lot of power, the track will run cooler, the Hyfax's and drive belt will wear longer and the clutch won't have to work as hard to get the sled moving from a dead stop.

4. Secondary Clutch:
Ditch that junk, stock 44* single-slope L/F helix and install a 38*/44* dual-slope helix from a Sportfire instead. Then set the spring tension to the tightest hole (#4 if I recall correctly) and then preload the secondary spring 1 full turn after that before you bolt the helix down to the hub. This upgrade will let the engine rev out further before the shift to put the engine in it's peak powerband sooner AND it will backshift much quicker also when you're in heavy snow or under a lot of throttle load. The sled will be MUCH more spirited and you won't believe it's the same machine...

5. Gearing:
Last, but certainly not least and if you don't listen to anything else I've already said above, ***LISTEN*** to this!!!!!! GET RID OF THAT STOCK JUNK, JUNK, JUNK, HIGH RATIO TOP SPEED GEARING IN THAT THING.....PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 80's L/F's were mostly equipped with 1.55:1 final drive gearing, making the sled a ***TOTAL TURD*** off the line, because the engine had to really lug hard to get "on the pipe", hence the common L/F bog everyone (including me) complains about. Install a final drive gear set from a 1980+ John Deere Trailfire 340 sled instead, as they were equipped with a 2.16:1 ratio to deal with the low power output of the baby 340 Fireburst fanner Kawi engine. This upgrade will make the biggest improvement of the performance of the sled over anything else I've said and your L/F will ***NOT***, I repeat, ***NOT*** have the dreaded "bog" any longer... It will climb on the pipe right away, scream to redline easily and launch that thing like you never thought it could!!

Trust me on this Greg, as I've done it now twice myself and all of these modifications/upgrades ***REALLY*** work very well without negative compromises. Parts are cheap, easy to find and you won't believe the new-found performance of this sled when you're done. Plus, the durability of the sled won't be negatively affected either... The performance improvement of the total package comes from the sum of the selected upgrades/modifications working in tandem with each other, so don't skimp out and do only one mod and not the other, thinking that it will be "good enough", because it won't and you'll be disappointed...

This is the way the factory should have done it and In my opinion, JD missed the performance target big-time by setting it up to perform "lazy" the way they did. The 1980+ L/F could have been a legend in performance for it's day with just a few tweaks that could have made that sled a real screamer!!

Good luck with your project and I said before coming from my own personal hand in doing this ....THIS WOKS!!!!!! :)

PJ :sled: