Red Lake I-500 Vintage Class

Norton

Re: Red Lake I-500 Vintage Class

Post by Norton »

Kenny,

I know it is 2010 year's info. but the entire USCC rule book is on their web site as a pdf file. I suspect that age and safety rules will not change much from year to year. I found the stop sign violations and the "Chinese fire drill" rule to be very interesting....

It is a good read on a cold winter night. Acually, south central ND has a winter storm warning for tonight and tomorrow. 6 to 12 inches of the white stuff. Not summer yet on the plains!

kb
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

hmmmm..pit crew ?

:bonk:
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

Looks like this will be a wash out for me, too many rules, too much safety gear needed, too many Ben Franklin's needed to pursue this any further. Pit crew needed....

I dont think so.
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Paul, the logistics of racing is unbelieveable. It was compounded when running the I-500 by the fact that lodging had to be secured for each day and remember this was waaayyyyy long before the internet or google LOL. Lot's of hotels, motels, etc would not accept a credit card ( only had Master Card and maybe VISA). You had to send checks to each place to hold a reservation. This is for four people, not one. Then there was fuel, food, etc. Since I was "only the driver", the logistics was assigned to me. Maybe because I owned my own business and making calls was easier for me than for my buddies who worked "regular" jobs. Securing the sled, parts, tools, lodging, food, fuel all fell on me and I can't complain as I enjoyed that aspect. Besides, I got to do the driving too. Yes, it was a huge committment but in looking back it was all worth it. Oh, besides the I-500 we also ran the Park Rapids race when was usually the week or two before the I-500 so it was packing up driving to Minnesota on Thursday, driving home to Indiana on Sunday, rebuilding the sled and leaving again for Winnipeg or St. Paul a couple days later. Hard on people, especially my wife and two young children at the time. Looking back it seems like it was an insurmountable task but we got through it. Would I do it again, probably at that age but not at my current age.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
kenwaters

Post by kenwaters »

Paul,

One or two guys could probably service the whole fleet of Deere sleds that will participate. All it would take is a little logistical planning. I would have to figure that not everyone would hit the fuel stops at once. If Collet communicators are allowed, then the driver could stage his turn with the "pit crew" as he entered the refuel lane, and be done with the fuel stop relatively easily. Of course, being first in line at the refuel stop would dictate that you get first service. Just be patient, these things usually shake out.
Kenny Waters(boy)
Rochester, NY

Mechanic for founding VDR teammate JDJR
Opinions are worthless...Education is priceless
Aspiring to be the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

'74 X-6
'75 X-8
'75 340S
'77 340 Liquifire
'78 440 Liquifire
'80 Spitfire
'80 Liquifire (completed VC and sometimes raced)
'81 Liquifire (bib #212f Red Lake Vintage CC Sled)
'82 Liquifire
'83 Liquifire
'83 Sprintfire (1 runner +2 parts sleds)
'96 Indy Storm (hated by JDJR and Thundercats)