Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Frequently Asked Questions for Kawasaki-Powered
JoeRainville

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by JoeRainville »

Hey Guys,

The question of how simular/different Sports vs. Trailfires comes up now and then, so here is a short disertation on them:

The first model year of the Trailfire was 1979. It had an all steel tunnel, probably due to high aluminum cost back then. It utilized the Spitfire track with it's 116" length and 2" drive lug pitch. This was the first time Deere used a Kawi motor, in this case 340 and 440 cc T-1 motors, producing about 30 and 40 hp respectively. Each had a single Mikuni carb, no oil injection. The chain case was identical to the 78 Liquifire, and they sub to the same P/N, and use the same spring pad chain tensioner. The 340 used a specific version of the Comet Duster 94-C, while the 440 got a 102-C. The driven clutches shared architecure with the 76-78 LF & Cyclones, but the 340 had a different helix angle than the 440. It rode on a 30" ski stance, and had the motor very low in chassis, about 10.5 inches from the snow to the crank. Both the 340 and 440 were painted Winterfrost.

For 1980 the Trailfire got an aluminum tunnel, new color (Winter Frost II), jetting updates, new snowflap, updated track profile, etc. The 340 ditched the Duster drive clutch first used on the 78 Spitfire for the trusty 102-C.

New for 1980 was the Sportfire. It was very simular to the Trailfire and used the same chassis, track, suspension muffler and bodywork. Major differances included a 42 hp Kawi T-7 440 with a 34 mm Power Jet Mikuni, and the same chaincase/tensioner system as used on the 80 Liquifire. The Sport also used the LF one-up seat, had chrome ski shocks, handle bars and rear grab bar. The Sport used different clutching calibrations including a multi-angle helix.

A few minor updated for 81, but nothing major other than decals and such.

In 82, things got interesting. While the base Trailfire motors stayed the same, the 440 got a recoil mounted oil injection system, new decals and an LX designation with a larger windshield.

The 82 Sport got a heavy dose of Liquifire DNA. While keeping it's 42 hp Kawi 440, it also got oil injected. The big news was the cleated track was swapped out for the Liquifire Yokohma rubber track, and it also recieved the LF skidframe, using a Trailfire type rear arm, and a specific shock. It kept the Trailfire tunnel mounted idler shaft to keep the track off the top of the suspension. It also recieved a clutching update.

Through 83-84 changes were minor, mostly decals and the color of the Sportfire changed too.

In the winter of 84, SnowGoer called the Sportfire "8 hp from perfect", saying that with a 50 hp fan motor, the Sport would be the best in it's class.

Please feel free to add anythings I might have overlooked.

-Joe Rainville
"Tech-Ed"
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
tipitup

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by tipitup »

thanks joe.
RSplash40

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by RSplash40 »

This brings out the question what does LX stand for? Some of have said electric start but thats been cleared.
Deere Daze

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by Deere Daze »

Hey Guys
Joe got it pretty much on the money.One sled he did leave out is the "Trailfire 340 Special". The special was only available in Canada.The difference between the trailfire 340 and the trailfire 340 special is that the specail had the 80s liquifire style chaincase, much more agresive jetting in the carb,liquifire "type" susp. but not the same ,and the clutching was also much more aggresive.They also came with many standard accessories, tach,speedo,tether,remote fuel shut off and handle bar warmers,sport seat.Now as for h/p, I have two diff. books that give two diff. #s, one book says 36 h/p and the other says 38 h/p... maybe Rich or Joe can help with this figure..Ed
tipitup

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by tipitup »

So as far as rebuilding one or reconditioning one, which would you choose? My comparison at the time is a 80 sporty to a 83 or 84 trailfire. I'm wondering if it is worth it to get the two trails and get them running. oh ya, which is faster?
Greenxcracer76

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by Greenxcracer76 »

I don't think the 82 and up Sporty's used the Trailfire upper idler shaft. The top wheels to keep the track up were mounted in the center of the rear arm like an 80 up Liquifire. Otherwise right on Rainville!

Mike
JoeRainville

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by JoeRainville »

Hey Guys,

I wrote the first note on lunch, and didn't have time to fit in the 82 340 Canada Special Trailfire, but I forgot to add that 82 was the last year of the 340 Trailfire in the states. The Canada Special might have been built up to 83, but I need to check (Ed, any clue on this?).

The C/S had a lot of unique parts like Ed wrote. The rear suspension looked alot like a Liquifire with the center idlers, but used different rails, and smaller idlers wheels. The LF used 6.375" while the Special had 6.080" I believe. (Ed, I have a box of them if you need any!)

Mike, I checked out all my books and CD's, and I can't find any proof or part numbers for the Sportfire using the rear idler set up on the rear suspension arm like the Liquifires, even though the 83-84's had the tabs for them. I know your sleds have the LF set up, but I think they were changed from the original cross shaft, hence the holes in the tunnel. Maybe Rich can verify this for me?!

Also, if anybody find a 340 Canada Special Trailfire, in most any shape, I would like to pick one up this summer if the price is reasonable.

Have fun guys, and thanks for the added input!
-Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

83BLACKJD

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by 83BLACKJD »

I'll keep my eye out for the 82 340 trailfire special for you Joe .I'am in NB canada. There could be one around here some where.
Deere Daze

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by Deere Daze »

Joe, I think your right, they were built in 82 and 83 onyl, mine is an 82.The other thing i did forget to mention was the special also used the same style hood as the liq with the vent on the side.
As for the 82+sportys, im with Joe that they didnt use the liquifire rear control arm, and still used the stock sporty rear are.
Ed
Greenxcracer76

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by Greenxcracer76 »

I have 2, one with 200 original miles and it does not have the idler shaft. My other one doesn't have the shaft either.

Mike
JoeRainville

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by JoeRainville »

Hey Guys,

Mike is correct that his two sports do not have the TF idler cross shaft set up, they both have the Liquifire set up on the rear arm. I have seen the sleds in person, but they did have the holes in the tunnel for the cross shaft.

What I can't find is any proof that that is a factory modification. I "think" it was done by the owners. I do have two NOS 28-84 Sportfire suspensions, and they have the taps on the rear arm, but the parts book show them not being used.

Anyone else have an 82-84 Sportfire that can shed more light on this? I am not picking on you Mike, (Ok, well maybe a little), but I think the Sports all came with the Trailfire setup from the factory.

The truth is out there, sometimes...WAY out there...

-Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Greenxcracer76

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by Greenxcracer76 »

Joe, I will look at my uncle's 83 Sport. He has owned it from new and he would know if it was messed with. How's my 2nd box of parts coming along? E-mail me your phone number and a good time to call.

Mike
JoeRainville

Trailfire vs. Sportfire

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

Short update on this Sportfire topic. I just bought an 84 a few weeks ago at a local show, and it has the idlers on the rear arm, just a like a Liquifire. Since that makes about 4 data points, looks like I was wrong in my original posts. My guess is that when Deere changed to rubber track in 82 they removed the separate rear cross shaft and went to the LF type. I guess the parts book might be wrong in this case.

The holes are still in the tunnel for the cross shaft, as the Sport and Trail shared a common frame, but they have dummy bolts in them.

The truth is out there, sometimes way out there!
-Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor