Red Lake I 500 sleds other than late Liquifires?

Skiwhizj

Red Lake I 500 sleds other than late Liquifires?

Post by Skiwhizj »

Hey Guys, I have been looking at alot of the posts for the I-500 sleds they all look really great and Iam very excited to watch them in action. My question is are there going to be anyother types of deere sleds and would a early liquifire or trailfire be able to compete? Because of the busy summer I wasnt able to get a sled together that I would trust for the entire race, but I have a good start on a entry for next year . We do plan on a road trip up to watch and do some fact finding. Good luck to all those who are racing! :sled:
JoeRainville

Re: Red Lake I 500 sleds other than late Liquifires?

Post by JoeRainville »

Ski,

I can speak for Kenny and I as to why we choose 1980 Liquifires over other Deere's. They are light at 412 lbs dry, plentiful with 8,900 of the produced, and they are pretty fast with 65 hp. They have a reasonable 6.5" of rear suspension travel, 32 inch ski stance, rubber tracks and oil injection too.

My second choice would have been a 1978 Liquifire 440, but with a Cat rubber track installed. 57 hp, aluminum rear skid, and it has a radiator and bulkhead heat exchanger. I think with the mod's allowed, that sled could hold it's own. I also like the nice thick seat too.

An 80/81 Trail or Sportfire would be my 3rd choice. The are about 40 and 42 hp, but very, very light at about 380 bls. Would have to switch them to a LF rubber track and modern clutching to get the most out their low output fan cooled 440's. With modern shocks, and a wheel kit, they would only come up short at the top end vs. a Liquifire. I don't think the 30" ski stance would be an issue, as they both handled very well anyway.

I think a 78 Cyclone 440 would be my next choice. While only 45 hp, they could be updated with a thicker 78 LF or Dator type seat, and the sled would be reasonable light.

While I love them for trail sleds, the 76-77 Liquifire would be my last choice of the sleds mentioned. This is mostly due to the shallow seats, steel rear skid (must use stock suspenion), and no radiator.

I hope this answers some of your questions, and I hope to see you at the race!

-Joe Rainville
#621 Vintage Deere Racing
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I believe the Sportfire, Trailfires would come up way too short on speed & maybe too light if the course gets real ruff, You don't get anywhere with the nose straight up in the air..
You guys haven't seen anything of Brian's driving style yet, I hope he gets into his tucked in position at least once for the video's they are putting out..

Just my $.0735 worth

Me
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
kenwaters

Post by kenwaters »

Dear Me,

I too noticed that Brian wasn't riding in "race form". I didn't expect to see his front end doing exactly what it is doing, Joe pointed out that that is the way CC riders want the bias on their weight distribution, to get the front end of the sled up in the air to clear obstacles with a blip of the throttle. I assume if he hunkers down and pulls forward on the seat, he will keep the front end down for handling?

Me (2)
Kenny Waters(boy)
Rochester, NY

Mechanic for founding VDR teammate JDJR
Opinions are worthless...Education is priceless
Aspiring to be the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

'74 X-6
'75 X-8
'75 340S
'77 340 Liquifire
'78 440 Liquifire
'80 Spitfire
'80 Liquifire (completed VC and sometimes raced)
'81 Liquifire (bib #212f Red Lake Vintage CC Sled)
'82 Liquifire
'83 Liquifire
'83 Sprintfire (1 runner +2 parts sleds)
'96 Indy Storm (hated by JDJR and Thundercats)
JRC ETD

Post by JRC ETD »

The media machine is in full function, but not all that is seen is as it seems? Thats racing, act 2 behind door #2 on it's way! Quiet is planning, right Steve? JRC
SKNOWCAT

Post by SKNOWCAT »

You go girl.
Steve T.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Jon, Maybe I'll get see you in the test/practice area..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
I500

Post by I500 »

:sled: :whistle:

76/77 Liquifires...... Steel suspension??????????????

Race rules states:Suspension must be OEM for the make and model year. No material substituition allowed.

i have paperwork that states: Accessories for 76/77 Liquifire and 76 Liquidator.
AM54416 Slide rail suspension.

I think it means you can use this suspension on the Liquifires and Dators.
Skiwhizj

Post by Skiwhizj »

Thanks Joe all of the things you mentioned make total sense and are all things I considered but it is reassuring to here some one else say it. It does seem like the later liquifires make the most sense but I would really like to try a 1978 LF we will see what shakes out in the end. Has anyone herd anything about the numbers expected for the vintage race or if they plan to have any other vintage classes in the future like maybe a 340 class? Jamie