What did you guys learn from the I-500 leg this year?

JDT

Re: What did you guys learn from the I-500 leg this year?

Post by JDT »

Congrats on the commitment Wade.
I plan on being there again also.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
deereoftheyear

Post by deereoftheyear »

Nice to hear all the updates from the race guys. Maybe better luck next year. Anyways, in my opinion, a fan cooled 440 trail fire or sport fire would probably be a poor choice to race with and win, but it would probably finish. The reason i say this is that with 45 mph average speed for the winner that would mean you would have to ride a 100 miles in a little more than 2 hours. I am not a racer but I do ride extensiveness on my 83 trail fire 440 (almost 6000 miles in 3 winters). I do not think I have every done a 100 mile ride in MUCH less than 3 hours (usually 3-4 hours) even on PERFECTLY GROOMED TRAILS....and all my buddies have newer sled so I ride as fast as i can when I go. With trails as rough as you guys say, I just don't think that the fan cooled deeres would place very well at all.

_Luke
JRC ETD

Post by JRC ETD »

Talk is the Vintage class will have it's own day and not run the modern sled course in 2012, fan cooled Trailfires will finish, doubtfull for a win, sled prep is key, body more important....As BN said "your back has to take 60 "bottom outs" evry minute for 3 hours 51 minutes. My sled had 100% new parts....that's racing luck as all risk was planned for in contruction. By the way....disturbed to see the lack of respect for Joe Rainville previous here. He has contributed many ways to this sport and JD and always 100% ready to help anyone. Approach the race with full commitment as that is what the winner will have done. JRC
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

jrc thanks for the update on the 2012 event . it amazes me that many of the people who seem to trash rainville have never met him , i wish those would create themselves the opportunity to meet him .hes actually on ok guy :lol22: but seriously , very selfless and ready to jump in for anyones cause i cant wait for the hof ride . it will be intersting to see if a sled of mine and i can rise up and finish the ride . I realize the real challenge will be an ungroomed rutted up path at competitive speed , cant wait wade
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
SKNOWCAT

Post by SKNOWCAT »

I think OK is a pretty strong description for Rainville, I was thinking more along the lines of tolerable.
Steve T.
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

... rainbird ...
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
jd_decalguy

Post by jd_decalguy »

Tabor,
you better be nice to rainville or you might have to find yourself a new luggage boy! :roll: :roll:

jddecalguy
chris
Chris Dotzler
Palisade, MN
to many old sled...so little time!!!
SKNOWCAT

Post by SKNOWCAT »

You're right Chris, a good sherpa is hard to find in northern Minnnesota. It was a tradeoff, I had to store his damn LP tanks in my room so they would thaw out. Good job Wade on that Rainbird designation by the way.
Steve T.
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

JRC,

Thank you for the prop's, but nothing to worry about. Being out in public promoting Deere sleds long enough, and someone is bound to not like you even though you have never met or interacted with them. Some people think they know you by only reading your posts, whatever. With one or two exceptions, most of folks I've had the good fortune to meet in this hobby have been great. Still not sure about Tabor though, but he is good for a ride from the airport once in a while and his room is handy propane depot and after race party spot.

Back to the topic: Peronally I had no problem with racing the same course as the modern sleds, nor did I mind going out after them. One thought we've kicked around is to suggestest that if the vintage guys are to run a separte course, it to use either the "Day 1" after or "Day 3" course before the modern guys. I like the idea of running the full 150 to 170 miles, but an earlier start would be easier on the slower riders. Is Pat OK with spreading out the race like that?

Hopefully next year I will get to see more than 6.4 miles of course. Testing for next year starts next weekend as the sled will be repaired and ridden as much as possable to iron out any other bugs. I am also happy to share any advice or tips I have on building a vintage I-500 Deere with most of the board members here. I hope to see a great Deere turn out next year, and I will be there to try again!

You also bring up a good point on conditioning yourself for the race. After having a proper set up sled, the rest of it is 80% driver. I would suggest to anyone considering the race to start now with getting in shape and getting as many miles as they can on a vintage sled this winter to get used to it before any modifications. I think Tabor gave this idea to Jesse, and I think it's a good one.

-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
JDT

Post by JDT »

Running the Vintage Class by itself would require a huge commitment from USCC as far as personal goes.
There would need to be a seperate group of spotters and officals on race day. An extra course set up which would require a lot of legwork the day before.
Additional course markers would be needed and mapage. It can be done but would add costs to the program.
What about fuel stops? Would vintage share them with the modern class?

If they wanted to do it that would be fine and I am all for NOT having the Vintage sleds run the course after the modern sleds had turned it into a machine destroyer.

I like Joe's idea of running the old machines early on the same day on the same loop layout. But how much earlier would be needed to avoid potential saftey issues with modern machines catching up to the vintage riders? Two hours?
Would that mean starting Vintage at 8AM or delaying the moderns start to noon?
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Todd,

I might not have been clear with what I meant. If the vintage sleds were to run a separate course, I was suggesting we run the "Day 3" course on day two, the day before the modern sleds hit it. Or, we could run the "Day 1" course on day 2, as the modern sleds would be done with it by then. It was just a thought. Or, like you said, we leave way early in the AM, but I don't' think the Pro's would like running down a vintage rider in the ditches.

Unfortuately, with the untimely passing of Pat Mach, the USCC has much bigger issues to worry about. I was actually going to write Pat the day I found out about his terrible accident. Here is the man that bought CC racing back to the front and center, and got the media and the manufactures behind it. Then Pat brought vintage sleds to the I-500 so some of us could 'live the deam'. I am forever greatful to have known Pat well enough for him to call me "John Deere Joe" over the PA system last year at the Maine 100. And I am very glad I thanked him for having a vintage class. I pray for his family and hope he is in a better place, racing from cloud to cloud...

God's speed Pat.

-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Hemi guy

Post by Hemi guy »

Thanks you guys for all the input! its good to hear from someone who has been there and done it before I jump head-long into something!

Dusty
Dusty

Riders:
83 Liquifire
80 Trailfire (grandpa bought new)
79 Spitfire (grandpa bought new)

Projects:
79 Spitfire AKA: FrankenDeere
81 Liquifire
sledcollector

Post by sledcollector »

Hey guys,just got home from the Walker race,The USCC did a great job putting the race on,1 sled in the Vintage class,a polaris tx I believe.If you want to test for the I-500 they have a vintage class in every race if people show up.The vintage class ran in the middle of the day with juniors and women.I was thinking about the I-500.Why not run the first leg of every day.That would give vintage a chance at repair every day.Time to finish,no fuel stop.Just pick up your sled at the first fuel stop.The only problem would be sweepers.Maybe we could find people in the vintage group to do that. Just a thought.
Rick
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

rick thats not a bad idea at all wade
Matt

Post by Matt »

sledcollector wrote:Hey guys,just got home from the Walker race,The USCC did a great job putting the race on,1 sled in the Vintage class,a polaris tx I believe.If you want to test for the I-500 they have a vintage class in every race if people show up.The vintage class ran in the middle of the day with juniors and women.I was thinking about the I-500.Why not run the first leg of every day.That would give vintage a chance at repair every day.Time to finish,no fuel stop.Just pick up your sled at the first fuel stop.The only problem would be sweepers.Maybe we could find people in the vintage group to do that. Just a thought.
Rick
I personally think that takes too much of the enduro aspect out of the race. The fuel stops, and being able to survive on basic repairs only, are a major part of this type of racing.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator