Dator serial number question

Topics related to the 295/S, 340/S, Liquidator, and Cross Country
80spitfire

Dator serial number question

Post by 80spitfire »

Hey guys,
I have another question for you about Dators. As most of you know my sled was crashed in the 80s and the original tunnel was junked and was replaced with a unstamped Cyclone tunnel. They didn't restamp it anywhere. However I was told by the previous owner that supposedly the VIN number was stamped into the steering support. He said when he reassembled the sled the number on the support matched the tunnel. Now I've never heard of a Deere being stamped there from the factory so I was just curious if any of you have ever seen a Dator with the VIN stamped in the steering support. I looked at it tonight but it's all rusty so I'll have to clean it up some time and check it out.

Thanks,
Brian
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
WinnipegStPaul9

Re: Dator serial number question

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Never heard of that. I haven't seen a VIN in a steering support in any of the sleds I've worked on.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JDT

Post by JDT »

I agree with Kenny.

Never seen a VIN number anywhere on any brand of sled other than on the tunnel tag. And some brands did not put the tag on the tunnel.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

:think:

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Brian,

None of the 5 Dators and parts Dators have the S/N on the stearing support that I have seen. I agree with the guys, only the tunnels were stamped, and the motors had thier own S/N's of course.

-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

Yeah it's weird I never found one on mine either. I'm not quite sure what the previous owner was talking about.
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
78nmncrosscountry

Post by 78nmncrosscountry »

dator history--dallas dolan from vesta mn purchased a dator from gettesberg sd back in the day. does anyone know of him @ did he race the unit?
Jd sled rider

Post by Jd sled rider »

Mine is not on a dater, but my air box mount has the vin number stamped in it just like the tunnel. Brock and I discovered it when assembling my 78 liquifire.
2015 vintage challenge finisher on 81 liquifire
2016 vintage challenge finisher on a wounded 83 Liquifire
78nmncrosscountry

Post by 78nmncrosscountry »

dator history-- dallas dolan from vesta mn did race the dator --he said he would love to see it again --he might come up this summer to view--dallas bought this machine from hootman implement in getteysberg sd from donnavan hottman who raced it the first year--donnavan has been in contact with me and will give me more info in april--more to come
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

78nmncrosscountry wrote:dator history-- dallas dolan from vesta mn did race the dator --he said he would love to see it again --he might come up this summer to view--dallas bought this machine from hootman implement in getteysberg sd from donnavan hottman who raced it the first year--donnavan has been in contact with me and will give me more info in april--more to come
Which Dator are you talking about? I mean serial number wise, because my Dator's tunnel I believe was bought and raced in South Dakota as well. Mine is number 379.

Thanks,
Brian
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored