81 intruder locked up

Topics related to brands other then JD
JDT

Re: 81 intruder locked up

Post by JDT »

Is there a wiring diagram available from the Kawwy trax site?
That would help a lot.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JDT

Post by JDT »

I found a wiring diagram on Vintage Snow web site. It is for the 80 Intruder.
If the 81 is the same than follow that diagram.

Things that are different than the JD wiring are the ignition switch itself and the fact that the lights are controlled by that switch.
And yes they lights do run directly off the battery according to the 80 diagram.

You will have to make some changes to run this system without a battery.
If you look at the 81 Invader diagram on that webite you will see that you have to do.

Bascily it is similar to what JD did with a different jumper connector on the harness when E-start is used.
You will need a different voltage regulator (2-wire) to replace what you have now(4-wire).

You could probably get a used one from a manual start sled and just swap them out with your machine and away you go.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Matt

Post by Matt »

JDT wrote:Is there a wiring diagram available from the Kawwy trax site?
That would help a lot.
No, they don't have any tech info up right now but they're getting ready to revamp it. Vintagesnow.com has one for the '80 Intruder:

:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Matt

Post by Matt »

Todd beat me to it but here is the Invader diagram he was talking about.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Ok thanks Todd and Matt. I've got the shop manual here I'm just terrible at figuring wiring diagrams out. Now i know where to start is a 2 wire voltage reg instead of the 4 wire. Then key switch in "run"?
Steven

Post by Steven »

That second one really helps! Thanks
Steven

Post by Steven »

So long time no see folks, i finally got around to putting a 2 wire VR on this Intruder. After sitting all last year outside grrrr with no snow in Grimsby i hooked it up no problems, same plug even! The squirrels had made a nice stash of goodies in the airbox, got that all cleaned out and put some fresh gas in the tank. The primer was dried out of course. Fixed that and i noticed that the choke cable for the pto side was broke at lever. Hmmm. Anyways i got her going and the lights all work. So thanks Matt and JDT. So i wonder if that choke cable had something to do with motor locking up like it did. Cold siezure maybe? If i recall he hadn't made it far from home when it locked up and his warm up procedure on sleds always makes me cringe. Lol Anyways i still check in from time to time but no deere in the herd.