Console Reinforcement Project

Forum rules
New posts in this forum are limited to approved members. Any one can reply to the existing topics. PM "Matt" for approval to post new topics in this forum.
ddub

Console Reinforcement Project

Post by ddub »

Both of my Deeres have cracked consoles by the hinge for the tool box door. I have been told they all are. :( I can see why.

Anyhow, I developed a reinforcement that I am playing with. A whole lot cheaper and easier than fiberglassing the cracks up.

I would like to get your guys opinions on a couple things with this reinforcement.

I initially was going to install the reinforcement over the hinge, sandwiching it between the original cowl and the reinforcement. But the hinge return spring became an issue. I could notch the reinforcement, but it would weaken the reinforcement. So, I installed the reinforcement next to the cowl and then the hinge. The problem? This does mess with the fitment of the door ever so slightly. (not that they were perfect to begin with from what I can see) Nothing that cannot be adjusted by elongating the hinge retaining bolt holes and/or the door opening. Which version would you guys like to see made available?

As you can see, I installed 4 rivets on each side to tie the reinforcement to the console. We could instead use adhesive. But adhesive requires proper prep work and adhesive is more money than 8 rivets, plus the user needs a dispensing gun as any adhesive that I would recommend would more than likely be a two part. Without the rivets, the repair would be invisible, except for the initial cracks. Which version would you prefer to use?

My reinforcement is 1/8 polycarbonate. If you guys want to copy the repair, be my guest, but the price won't be that expensive for this. I have all the products and tools to produce this fairly easily.

The reinforcement put into place being held by two clamps.

The tool caddy and door bolted into place along with the reinforcement to line up the panel for drilling.

Back side after the rivets were installed. This could be black polycarbonate versus the clear shown in this picture also.

The final repair. The seat should pretty much cover the rivets.

I appreciate your feedback guys!