295s CDI

Topics related to the 295/S, 340/S, Liquidator, and Cross Country
Jimmy

295s CDI

Post by Jimmy »

My 295 isn't running right since last year, I blamed it on the coils so I put new coils on it, didn't have any snow last year to check it out on, got it out when it snowed this year but the new coils didn't help. Don't know if its the CDI or not. Can I use a different CDI box if I wire it up with different connectors to fit the 295? If so what year CDI box do I use? Or how do I diagnose this.
James Lalk
Sumner,Ia
jep_800

Re: 295s CDI

Post by jep_800 »

I believe these also came with the Prestolite as original equipment. You can find aftermarket as direct replacements, but many on thise site like to get a new Fireplug CDI from Hewtech. They also recommend that the stator gets replaced with a rewound one from Hewtech. You'll spend a little money, but I guess they are bullet proof, and you will not have ignition issues.

jep_800
1975 John Deere 800
1975 JDX8 (VC Finisher 2019)
1976 440 Cyclone (VC Finisher 2022)
1974 El Tigre 440 (Sold)
1996 Arcitc Cat 440Z
tieszo6

Post by tieszo6 »

James,
I still have the original CDI that came with mine. I have no idea if it works as my engine came to me in pieces and put a fireplug on right away. You're more than welcome to try it but I think any prestolite will work if it has the right connectors or you change them.
Mark
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Mark,
I think I'll get the CDI from you and try it out. I have a couple new prestolite CDI's and triggers, these have the round three prong plugins. If your's works then I'll know its the CDI and I can go from there. I've got your phone number, I'll give you a call this week end. Thanks
Oh, in case you want to come again, the vintage ride in Fairbank is on January 31st. If I get my 295 figured out and we have snow I'll drive that, if not I'll drive the Sportfire. Should of rode a sled last year instead of driving the Quad track that way we could of rode together.
James Lalk
Sumner,Ia
Matt

Post by Matt »

You can troubleshoot your stator to rule that out before replacing the CDI. Here's a write-up on it, and a link to the page on Hewtech's web site that lists the correct ohm readings you should get from the stator.

http://www.jdsleds.com/community/viewto ... f=5&t=2473

http://www.hewtechelectronics.com/image ... WIRING.pdf
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator