JD 500 Factory Racer

JRC ETD

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by JRC ETD »

I met my old friend John Orvis on the Missouri/Iowa boarder on Thursday, John and I were on the first factory team together. John has saved his factory JD 500 race sled which he finished the I-500 with in 1973 and his 295/s, that he scored a 10th with in the 1974 race. John and Ed Kruel both worked at Horicon during this time and were cornerstones of the original race effort, both doing alot of testing and engineering for the production sleds and the race machines. John's 2 sleds are just as they crossed the finish line and are in remarkable condition. I have offered to restore these to original finish line operating condition....leaving the battle scars, and imperpections as they finished the race and attempt to reinterest Deere corporate to display these and some of the other historical Deere race sleds in Moline. I will shot some pics soon as I start them, the rear trunk on the 500 still had a 2 gallon steel fuel can, extra clutch, chain and 4 belts in it, just as it finished, the leather on the Bostrom seat is perfect. John and hopefully Ed will join us at the HOF, also started work on the 3 cylinder Liquifire...pretty cool engineering, looks like it was made to be. Most snow I have seen in ILL. in my life. Best Jon
JDGuy

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by JDGuy »

Jon: Great to have you posting again, it was starting to get a little dull and 'business' as usual since your last post. I become worried when on another site you said you were going stealth. Thanks for the current "fix". See you at the HOF.

Guy
JRC ETD

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by JRC ETD »

Thanks Guy....back to wide open! Anyone on chat this PM
Mr. Deere

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by Mr. Deere »

sure
BOB
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
afponiky

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by afponiky »

Hi Jon, my name is Gary. I'm in Ohio (right near Sandusky on the lake), I am pretty new to this but I wanted to say that I'm very impressed with you, your stories, and the people here. I've been into the JD tractors for a few years

http://www.weekendfreedommachines.org

and I really like this site and the people here.

I hope to meet you someday, and all of the others here!

Thank you and every else here, this is a great site and I hope to be able to contribute to it some day!!!!

Gary (GRP)

B)
75rat

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by 75rat »

Jon,

Will John Orvis be at the HOF ride? I would really like to talk to him, as the Jim Dano 295/S I restored is nearly identical to his and have a ton of questions. Does John still have the rear trunk and seat combo used on his 295/S for the I-500 (it's similar to the one used on his 500). Recent photos I've seen show it's been removed. Can't wait to see your photos....

Not trying to steal any of your thunder, but I thought some of the other forum member might like to see some photos of John's JD500 taken by Kenny Heins a couple years ago.

Jim
75rat

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by 75rat »

JD500 motor, etc. Not quite stock.........
75rat

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by 75rat »

And one more.......
JRC ETD

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by JRC ETD »

Jim....John ran the stock seat on his 295/s and that is how it is today, also stock slide rail ! Best Jon.......John emailed last night and has reservations for the HOF!
JRC ETD

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by JRC ETD »

Also have correct pipes for the CCW, as picture shows proto 295/s pipe, Jr. Pederson also has said he will bring the original 500 to HOF. Best Jon
JRC ETD

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by JRC ETD »

Hello Gary, great to have you join a terrific site, also enjoyed your tractor site, very well done.....sold one of the first 10, 110's built in 1962 and given to the Deere branch managers prior to the production launch 5 years ago,,,,,wish I hadn't. Best Jon
Hfounder

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by Hfounder »

Jon.....good to "see" you . Woke up and could not go back to sleep. Too early for church...too late to go back to bed so I put a log on the fire, turned on RFDtv and started looking at vintage sites....what else! !

Neat story about the Moline display when you finish those sleds. Great idea. They have no museum there or just no sleds in their museum ?

Trading exhibits is great for museums. The SNOWMOBILE HALL OF FAME may be able to help. Maybe Brian would let us bring his 76 I 500 winner to Moline and some of their stuff could come here.

Speaking of Brian, I talked to his father Dale this week. He can not make the HALL OF FAME Ride or the Induction banquet. His other son Ryan just became a supporting LIFE member in the HOF...............the whole family are now life members. That is great. Real neat folks.

The year of the 50th Derby, we hope to have a special display of Eagle River winning sleds. Maybe we could do the same for the I 500 some day.

Coffee is done..time to get going............Loren, in St. Germain, WI where it is too warm today and we need a foot of snow !
JRC ETD

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by JRC ETD »

Morning friend.....Your efforts of late are most commendable keep up the good fight! Brian will make it to the HOF as will Roger Jansen and most of the other ETD members....the assorted historical Deere race sleds are starting to really gain some recognition, and it certainly appears that this years HOF will be very well attended. I will be bringing 5-6 vintage Deere's for the ride, Bob Carlson, Roger Jansen, Jon Carlson, Brian Nelson, Bob Enns, and John Orvis.....some great vintage Deere photo shots....sleds will all be in race trim, no pipes. Pray for snow and keep getting up early.....makes the day more productive and lengthens life, give my regards to Brad, hope his back ordeal went well. Best Jon
tieszo6

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by tieszo6 »

In the first pic that 75rat posted, in the background, there is a Kitty Cat repainted in John Deere trim. Would that be considered a John Deere Fawn model?

:P Love all the original race stories, pics and setups. Its interesting to see the ingenuity that you guys used to survive that brutal race. Keep it coming! On a side note, I was at JD's World Headquarters in Moline two years ago and I believe they had a 84 Trailfire on the showroom floor. Possibly one other but I can't remember for sure.

Mark
JRC ETD

JD 500 Factory Racer

Post by JRC ETD »

Kitty Cat that Artic made for Deere to sell,>>>will restore that also, Deere declined to market the concept.....sleds I saw last winter were a Sno and Sprintfire at Moline....thanks for the support, have some more racing to post here. Best Jon