78 CC gas cap

Topics related to the 295/S, 340/S, Liquidator, and Cross Country
77sonic

78 CC gas cap

Post by 77sonic »

Hi, we're in the middle of resurrecting a 2x Winnipeg finisher and have a question regarding the gas cap. Is it just a cap or should it be a gauge? Also does it say John Deere or have a logo on it? Thanks
AirborneX4Special

Re: 78 CC gas cap

Post by AirborneX4Special »

Screw cap and cork float style gauge, "John Deere" printed on the aluminum level indicator, plastic top has a vent hole. Most JD sleds had a variation of that setup. Level indicator is supposed to be painted yellow with black stencils for the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 hash marks and E/F on the respective ends of the dial with the John Deere spelled out beneath it. You should be able to get a new Kelch gauge assembly for that tank but it will not be OEM in appearance. Float will be poly and the gauge face will be generic, but they can be modified to resemble original.
77sonic

Post by 77sonic »

Thank you very much for the reply
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Most of us swapped the OEM ( Gauge type ) cap for a cap without a gauge so they could be removed quickly & the shaft part wouldn't brake off & fall into the tank.....

Grumpy
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?