Alternative Production Fire Series Tracks - AM54969, AM54331, AM55269.

Forum rules
New posts in this forum are limited to approved members. Any one can reply to the existing topics. PM "Matt" for approval to post new topics in this forum.
Platinum_2

Re: Alternative Production Fire Series Tracks - AM54969, AM54331, AM55269.

Post by Platinum_2 »

Matt80 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:10 pm I would be interested in 1, possibly 2 tracks depending on the price. I believe mine is a 78 spitfire and it is really in need of a track.
Would love to open up the throttle on it but I'm pretty sure the current track would fly apart if I did so.
Hang tight. I'm working on keeping these machines alive and on the trail! 😁
1981 Liquifire
1980 Sportfire
nick80lf

Post by nick80lf »

I'd be in for one of these at that price point and after seeing the beta testing results.
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
Platinum_2

Post by Platinum_2 »

UPDATE:

I needed to verify (re-measure) a few dimensions and also ensure accuracy against shrinkage/stretch from the template track. With the help from a fellow JD sled enthusiast, I was able to confirm the integrity of the template. A few minor adjustments will need to be made to the preliminary drawings before they are finalized by engineering. There has been some ongoing discussion as it pertains to lug height, pattern and type in order to achieve desired results. We are close to finalizing this aspect.

Once these steps are complete, final production drawings will be developed and some samples produced for inspection. It is unclear at this point if the sample will be a cross section or a full track. It may end up being both, with a cross section first to verify the design, structure. etc., followed by a full preliminary track for testing and evaluation.

More to come, I promise.

Gary
1981 Liquifire
1980 Sportfire
jdsledhead

Post by jdsledhead »

Keep up the good work!

I'm not sure how else you can test except to wait until next winter. Testing could be the most critical aspect after the dimensions are set. Does the company you are using have experience making tracks already? Doesn't necessarily have to be snowmobile track experience, just curious.

Catching up on prior posts; it will be important to know for sure if this will be a one-off run. That will influence how many tracks I order. Likely the same for others as well. That said, I feel like once the design, engineering and mold is done and one batch is made, it should be easy to make future runs? I think others here would want to make an arrangement with you to ensure the future possibility of more tracks. Whether that's buying the mold and compensating you for the development, or some other arrangement would be for you and them to figure out.
Tim Kudla

73 JDX4
80 Spitfire
82 Trailfire 340
84 Trailfire 440
10 SnoPro 500
Platinum_2

Post by Platinum_2 »

jdsledhead wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:55 am Keep up the good work!

I'm not sure how else you can test except to wait until next winter. Testing could be the most critical aspect after the dimensions are set. Does the company you are using have experience making tracks already? Doesn't necessarily have to be snowmobile track experience, just curious.

Catching up on prior posts; it will be important to know for sure if this will be a one-off run. That will influence how many tracks I order. Likely the same for others as well. That said, I feel like once the design, engineering and mold is done and one batch is made, it should be easy to make future runs? I think others here would want to make an arrangement with you to ensure the future possibility of more tracks. Whether that's buying the mold and compensating you for the development, or some other arrangement would be for you and them to figure out.
Tim,

Let me address your welcomed input one step at a time....

First, much of the testing can actually happen without snow. For tests that require snow, we will explore options when we are at that point. Testing mostly has to do with ensuring proper post-production fitment due to the elimination of the grouser bars and added weight. The replacement track will be heavier than OEM, no way around that. Whether that impacts performance in any meaningful way is yet to be known.

The supplier has a rich history in tracks, belting and other rubber, Kevlar, and synthetic products. I am not concerned about finished quality/durability as that has been engineered into the product.

Next, there is no way to "know for sure" if there will only be one run. A second run would largely be determined by the success of the first run, which hasn't happened yet. Folks are free to play this how they see fit.

Next, nothing about this project has been easy. I have no expectation of that changing after the run. There is a whole world of logistics that play an ongoing role in the delivery of finished manufactured goods to end-users. As I have said previously, if this were easy, it would have been done by now. :wink:

Lastly, if this project does not have the potential for ongoing success, then the tooling will be modified for other projects. I can't imagine myself or anyone else continuing on with a project that loses money. :think:

With all this being said, I am attempting to produce a non-existent part. So, folks can go with this or go with an alternative solution. That's their decision to make. :?:

Hope this helps!

Stay tuned!

Gary
1981 Liquifire
1980 Sportfire
Platinum_2

Post by Platinum_2 »

UPDATE:

The Good News: Final track design is confirmed. Dimensionally, it will be an exact replacement. We contemplated thickening the track, but given it will be a one piece rather than three separate belts held together by grouse bars we are comfortable with its strength and durability. Especially when you consider the machines these are designed for.

The Bad News: As many of you have noticed, the supply chain is messed up right now with respect to acquiring raw materials, getting them shipped, etc. Certain things, especially rubber, are in high demand with a lengthy wait list. Naturally, this project is not substantial enough for manufacturer's to prioritize its production. I real pickle indeed.

So, what does this mean? Tracks are going to happen. But, I have no time-line. I have been told that a lot of manufacturers are expecting things to return to "normal" by mid-fall, but no one really knows for sure.

I remain committed to the project and will bring this to fruition as quickly as possible. Thanks to Chris Holt for the donor track! 👍
1981 Liquifire
1980 Sportfire
Platinum_2

Post by Platinum_2 »

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Just to let everyone know I have not disappeared.

The supply chain is absolutely crazy right now. Wholesale rubber, tooling, steel and all other things necessary to manufacture parts is becoming increasingly difficult and/or expensive to source. There are some supplies and materials available but quite frankly, it would create unacceptable pricing for the finished product.

Not happy about this. But, I don't see any other alternative than to wait for supply chains to stabilize and wholesale production of raw materials to become available at workable pricing. I'm sure many of you in the manufacturing space understand this all too well. There is actually a lot of product sitting in ports but not being shipped inland to wholesalers, distributors, manufacturer's, etc. in large enough volumes to meet current demand. What does make it in is being snatched up instantly at premium prices.

I will continue to update this thread as new, more promising information becomes available.

Lastly, I remain committed to the project...but this environment is not friendly.

GW
1981 Liquifire
1980 Sportfire
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

"The Good News: Final track design is confirmed. Dimensionally, it will be an exact replacement. We contemplated thickening the track, but given it will be a one piece rather than three separate belts held together by grouse bars we are comfortable with its strength and durability. Especially when you consider the machines these are designed for."

So is this track fully rubber without grouser bars?

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Gary, I hear you.

I have been looking to upgrade trailers, and I am finding a total mess out there. If I want to order one, I "might" take delivery in a year, and no price until then. However, prices rose by 20% last Monday, whatever that may be.

They can't get...everything, according to my local dealer.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
JAH76

Post by JAH76 »

Iam interested in a track as well please mesg me at 641-840-1087. Or email jasonhanna18@gmail.com. thank you
94' Polaris indy classic touring500(girlfriend loves this 2 seater). Running
83' JD Snowfire 53rd one off assembly line (barn find in newton,iowa) currently under restoration.
1979 Kawasaki invader(has had a 440 put in but have original 340 motor-needs restored).
1980 Kawasaki 340 Invader (original,needs restored)
HAD- 1969 Chaparrel firebird SS first snowmobile when I was 12. Sold it(idiotic)
1979 JD Spitfire 340. Kick myself for selling this awesome sled
zr870

Post by zr870 »

Add me to the list for a new track as well….82 trailfire lx
Dj sportfire

Post by Dj sportfire »

I am interested in a track also 937-210-7734
Platinum_2

Post by Platinum_2 »

WinnipegStPaul9 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:47 am "The Good News: Final track design is confirmed. Dimensionally, it will be an exact replacement. We contemplated thickening the track, but given it will be a one piece rather than three separate belts held together by grouse bars we are comfortable with its strength and durability. Especially when you consider the machines these are designed for."

So is this track fully rubber without grouser bars?

DA
Don,

Correct. End-users could certainly add grousers if desired, but it would not be necessary or recommended.

GW
Last edited by Platinum_2 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
1981 Liquifire
1980 Sportfire
Platinum_2

Post by Platinum_2 »

400brian wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:31 am Gary, I hear you.

I have been looking to upgrade trailers, and I am finding a total mess out there. If I want to order one, I "might" take delivery in a year, and no price until then. However, prices rose by 20% last Monday, whatever that may be.

They can't get...everything, according to my local dealer.
Camoplast is experiencing material shortages and you know....they're kind of a big player. 😄 So, you can guess where that puts me in line.... 😔
1981 Liquifire
1980 Sportfire
JAH76

Post by JAH76 »

Iam interested in 2 tracks also.if I'm not to late
94' Polaris indy classic touring500(girlfriend loves this 2 seater). Running
83' JD Snowfire 53rd one off assembly line (barn find in newton,iowa) currently under restoration.
1979 Kawasaki invader(has had a 440 put in but have original 340 motor-needs restored).
1980 Kawasaki 340 Invader (original,needs restored)
HAD- 1969 Chaparrel firebird SS first snowmobile when I was 12. Sold it(idiotic)
1979 JD Spitfire 340. Kick myself for selling this awesome sled