1981 Spitfire Ignition

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
dacmile

1981 Spitfire Ignition

Post by dacmile »

I just purchased the sled on an auction and it was stated coil was bad and it was absent. Apparently from photos that year (81 Kawa) had a CD box and coil all in one and they are no longer available or?? I see some Deere CD boxes and coils are still available as separate pieces and looks like wires hook up the same so maybe they work or do I need different stator. Do not wish to experiment and burn out stator, coils or CD boxes. Thanks for any info!
nick80lf

Re: 1981 Spitfire Ignition

Post by nick80lf »

Unfortunately aftermarket units are not available. Your only options are good used or NOS.
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
IH power

Post by IH power »

Just wondering if u got spitfire going? I did google search and found guy in UK had said to buy new cdi and coil for John Deere trail fire 340. Said all plugs are the same only thing was had to find different spot to mount cdi? I’ve been trying to find different alternatives as well without much luck.
dacmile

Post by dacmile »

Not running yet as had everything tore down, maybe by summer. I have NOT come across any other Spitfire in WMN to see what they look like. I found on E-Bay used aircraft Kawa flywheel, stator, CDI and coil which seems to provide spark, would expect it to run decent when assembled, will find out I guess. Someone out there must have the various JD sleds in their collection and could swap Ignition parts back and forth to see what works and what not to end this guessing game.
New Breed

Post by New Breed »

Any updates? I might have a lead for you?
nick80lf

Post by nick80lf »

Luke. I'm curious what you mean by "lead" (NOS, used, repop) as I have been casually looking for one of kawasaki free air coil / cdi units.
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
dacmile

Post by dacmile »

Need to get back to Spitfire as finally got some snow here in MN, but not much! Crazy weather year for sure and been busy with some old tractors. Where I left off was that I did have good spark from "YET" available CDI and Coils using the original stator. Have not run as still have carb and clutch issues to work out as well as need to repaint hood and misc. dac