JD 800 points to CDI Conversion

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
stevenh

JD 800 points to CDI Conversion

Post by stevenh »

I have converted a 440/22 in my 800 from points to CDI with parts from a donor engine and new stuff from Hewtech. My question is with wiring to the sled wiring harness. What do I do with the 5 wires coming from the harness to the engine coupling? After studying the wiring diagrams for the 800 and for a cyclone, I think I only need 3 wires???? How do I alter the sleds harness to work? I have the wiring to the new CDI figured out, Hewtech provides instruction for that. Since this was an update is there any instruction bulletin from John Deere from back in the day? Thanks for the help
ihengineer76

Re: JD 800 points to CDI Conversion

Post by ihengineer76 »

Steve, the wiring for your 800 should be set up like the 76 Cyclone as far as the engine to chassis connection is concerned. Here is a link to that wiring harness.
https://vintagesnow.com/John_Deere_files/76wiring.jpg
1976 Liquidator - 970 mile raced sled
1975 340/S - I-500 raced sled
1978 440 Liquifire
stevenh

Re: JD 800 points to CDI Conversion

Post by stevenh »

Finally got some time and got it all figured out. First try I didn’t have the ground on the right wire at the coupler. Got that fixed and tried to start it. Put some fuel in cylinders and pulled 3-4 times and got nothing. Had good spark at the plugs. I switched the plug wires around and it started first pull! I had the leads mixed up from the cdi to the coils