Trailfire liquifire sportfire carb recommendations

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
High Top

Trailfire liquifire sportfire carb recommendations

Post by High Top »

After just getting my sleds to fire up for the first time after I purchased them I knew things weren’t exactly right with either machine as far as running well and staying running. Snow was on the ground so I did what I could and took them for a test a run not getting too crazy. Found that one had bad crank seals so focused on the other and would address the seals when time allowed. I pulled the carb back off the running machine as it was over fueling way too much, plugs both wet and smoking bad. Took everything out of it and got the fine tune manual that we miraculously had in the lawn and garden shop at the dealer I work for. Went to the page that showed what I needed and found that it had main jet way too rich and E clip was in wrong groove. Got the correct parts and new needle and seat. Got it back on and geez it was totally different machine. Checking plugs religiously and seems to be right with the tan color I’m getting.
Time to attack the next machine….
Pulled the engine, new crank seals and back in it went. Pulled the carb off this one again and everything checked out except the needle jet. Factory recommendation for Trailfire 440 is 166-Q0. This one had 166-Q2. It was one off to the rich side so I put it back together and figured I would see how it run. Did not want to idle well at all. Had to keep the throttle open or it would die. Also was bogging when trying to open up the throttle. It would run better at higher rpm’s though. Got correct needle jet and now it is idling good and accelerates up to high rpms as it should.
Here are the pages I was using to see what I had compared to the recommendations for temp and altitude from the fine tune manual.
Attachments
IMG_3513.jpeg
IMG_3514.jpeg
Keith

79 Trailfire 440
80 Trailfire 440