Clutch for 1978 liquifire 440

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
tester007

Clutch for 1978 liquifire 440

Post by tester007 »

I bought a 'running/fast' sled a couple weeks ago, that turned out to run at about 10km/hr. take a better look in my garage and it barely a parts sled.. clutch side piston burnt down to rings in one area, outer clutch sheeve cracked right down to shaft..etc..etc.. So I pulled engine and am in the process of rebuilding it.
But I think i'm going to buy a new clutch vs a used one. My question is, I am in Calgary Alberta. We are at 3400 ft above sea level. Looking at the Deere manual, the jets should be 210, clutch spring silver. But it is like most stock ones seem to be, having read a lot since I got this, with 220 jets and a black spring. So I was going to replace the clutch with the same thing. However, a clutch is on Ebay for pretty cheap. The pic of the box says it's for a Yamaha. But it's a 102c, 30mm taper, silver spring and F-2 cams (I believe those are 55 grams?).

So my question is, I should be able to use this clutch, and just rejet to 210 correct? OR, could I just use the clutch with 220 jets and leave all else the same?

From what I have read, these sleds had A-54 weights originally..? Would the 1 gram make a huge dif? Yes I could get an exact clutch I need, but I didn't intend to have to spend what I am now just getting this thing running so if I could save a couple hundred and use this clutch (its new) that would be great.
tester007

Re: Clutch for 1978 liquifire 440

Post by tester007 »

Actually NM.. I see it has a gear on the back of it to drive an oil pump on the yami.. so it wouldn't work.