Naming the sled models

JRC ETD

Naming the sled models

Post by JRC ETD »

The usual topic for dinner discussion at our house was snowmobiles in the 70's, and with new models each year the conversation was model designation. The 100 series was Dads idea, as was the flat black for the X series. The racing S series was mine as was the Liquidator, Cyclone was I believe my mothers, and the Liquifire Dad's. Don't recall the color's discussions, but remember even Dad pressing that Deere had to stand out on the snow and break from the traditional green and yellow. Sleds were very important in our household........JRC
Jack Frost

Naming the sled models

Post by Jack Frost »

Hi Jon, very interesting stories from the Carlson house hold. I believe that your family did a outstaning job of naming the sleds as well as the colour selection. Do you have any recollection of who came up with the Spitfire name?

Regards , Dave
1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
River Rat

Naming the sled models

Post by River Rat »

Dave.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Frankie
Jack Frost

Naming the sled models

Post by Jack Frost »

Frankie...???????
1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
River Rat

Naming the sled models

Post by River Rat »

I thought about them all setting around the table when spitfire came up..Thought that's what you was referring too..SORRY.. That might have been a little to south for ya..

:D

:D Frankie (or bad humor on my part)
Jack Frost

Naming the sled models

Post by Jack Frost »

Frankie, at first I thought you were trying to take credit for the name Spitfire!

:o Then I thought my fly was open

:blink: or I had something in my teeth.

:D I'm just slow today!

Dave
1978 340 CC Liquifire
JRC ETD

Naming the sled models

Post by JRC ETD »

Actually I suggested the Spifire after the WW2 British fighter plane! Jon
Jack Frost

Naming the sled models

Post by Jack Frost »

Jon how did you come up with the name Liquidator?

Dave
1978 340 CC Liquifire
JRC ETD

Naming the sled models

Post by JRC ETD »

Color on the sleds was sensitive after Mr. Hewitt insisted that you should be able to choose your favorite color on your white JD garden tractor! That project was "not so much good" so differnet colored sleds was a pretty tough battle after the Hewitt households run on color. If a board members wife suggested blue, I'm pretty sure that is as close to a sled as anyone on the board ever got, and there may have been one painted to appease her but that would be the end. My unrest concerning the Sprint's and Sno's is well known, not a surprise that blue finally arrived with the sled guidance during those final years, only my opinions though. The naming of the Liquidator was done at the same time Enduro Team Deere was concieved as a race team name. The instructions around the design of the sled were to dominate the other sled mfgs. as a racer, this stems from the fact that the 340/s was a great competitior, but we wanted a machine that dominate the contenders, liquidate them was a natural. ETD was derived from the motorcycle enduro races of the day and fit perfectly with the mission of the race team. Horicon is really not to fault for the intial Liquidator weight "less engine" their instuctions were to build a sled that was indesrtuctable. My 340/s I-500 suspension is over 63 pounds with about 2 miles of angle iron in it, so the Liquidator was really a sled you could crash hard and still win on! JRC
JoeRainville

Naming the sled models

Post by JoeRainville »

Jon,

This is great story, I am glad you told it. Pretty cool that your Dad came up with "Liquifire" as it still stands out today as a unique and fitting name, even 24 years later.

I didn't know you came up with "Liquidator" either. I don't think there is a more appropriate name for that beast. Can I still use it to sign off with it, as in "Later Liquidator"? It's been in the public domain for over 25 years and may be considered an abondoned trademark by now...

;)

I still like my Sprintfire's, but do look at them differently now. I keep thinking, "yea, cute sled for Cari Deerest, but I would rather have had my IFS Liquifire become reality with a 530cc Liquid!"

Thank the Deere gods that the 78 Spitfire's had a good and proper name, and weren't blue either. Yikes, a powder blue sled named "Fluffy"...eeekk...

Later, uhhh, Liquidator,
-Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
I500

Naming the sled models

Post by I500 »

What does the S stand for on the 295/s and 340/s?

Ben asked this question before. Thanks
WinnipegStPaul9

Naming the sled models

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

That's a good question, we always thought it was for "St. Paul". DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
Jack Frost

Naming the sled models

Post by Jack Frost »

Thank you Jon! Great stories. One last question. The 78 line up is my favorite as you can see from my signature. I would like to know who came up with the colours and decals for those sleds? I think that the person that did, got them perfect!

Dave
1978 340 CC Liquifire
JRC ETD

Naming the sled models

Post by JRC ETD »

The /s was a take off of the Z/28 camaro designation as were some of the color take offs from the Z line up from Chevrolet. The 1978 paint was Horicon. If you study the 1969 Z colors you will find many of the Deere colors match/line up very well. This was were the color tones came from. Hope this helps! JRC
dator

Naming the sled models

Post by dator »

Hi Jon,i remember when after the 76 race season, Vic and i came to Moline and stayed at your place for a few days before we all went to Florida.( first or second week of april i think) There were discussions with RJ and your brothers about the new models for the next year,never thought to much about it then,but you and your dad were really giving names to the new models. " Awsome" Later Bob