Race story

_FIII

Race story

Post by _FIII »

Brian, do you happen to remember the number of that sled? I ask only because the one of the two dators that my dad and I have was raced in the Regina-Minot. A local deere dealer from the Regina area here. We have not asked him about his racing yet, bought the sleds from him and have not spoken to him since, but we are going to find this all out as he knows where his Regina-Minot JDX is too and we want to pick that up as well. Welcome to site!
Richard Gehl
Regina,Sk
Liquifire 4/6

Race story

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Thanks so much, Brian, for sharing that fantastic story with us. Ok, I gotta say it.......You've been my hero for over 30 years! Welcome to the site.
Last edited by Liquifire 4/6 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
JDCornFlakes

Race story

Post by JDCornFlakes »

I am reading this story and going whoa this cool. Then at the end of it I see Brain Nelson.
All sudden the 269Liquidator user name sunk in and....I say to my computer screen out loud
Holy $HIT it's him !!! :dance:

Whoa Brian back in 1977 I wanted to be you ! Welcome.

More stories please before bedtime.

Thanx Dave
DAVE
From Ontario...That's in Canada not in California eh !
Scott71

Race story

Post by Scott71 »

brian i love reading your storys and thank you for the tow back to cisco(one wild rodeo)
and joe let me know your next race close to home me and teri would like to go
ICCSF 108

Race story

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Troy, the other side is cracked also

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
JoeRainville

Race story

Post by JoeRainville »

#269liquidater wrote:I will have to find something green to ride at next winters Vintage Challenge ride...
Brian,

What is your preference for a green sled? I am pretty sure the crew here could accomidate you with a sled, or two...

-Joe
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Danzig

Race story

Post by Danzig »

You guys need to get a room.....!!!!!

:lol22:
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
kenwaters

Race story

Post by kenwaters »

Paul,

You'd be chatting too if a ditch banging champ like Nelson was interested in your race season! :wink: :wink:

Hey, where were you at the RWTC VC? It would have been nice to see you and your Liquifire there, besides, Troy had his hands full keeping Lindner in line! :dance: :dance:
Kenny Waters(boy)
Rochester, NY

Mechanic for founding VDR teammate JDJR
Opinions are worthless...Education is priceless
Aspiring to be the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

'74 X-6
'75 X-8
'75 340S
'77 340 Liquifire
'78 440 Liquifire
'80 Spitfire
'80 Liquifire (completed VC and sometimes raced)
'81 Liquifire (bib #212f Red Lake Vintage CC Sled)
'82 Liquifire
'83 Liquifire
'83 Sprintfire (1 runner +2 parts sleds)
'96 Indy Storm (hated by JDJR and Thundercats)
DLDeere

Race story

Post by DLDeere »

Brian,
Great story! Thanks for sharing!

I just watched the Deere video of the 1976 season. I'll have to watch it again to see if the Dator following you is in it.

Howard
DL Deere
Detroit Lakes, MN

73 JD 400, 500, JDX4, JDX8
74 JDX4 Special, JDX8
74 JD 295/S
75 800
76 Liquidator
77 Liquifire
78 Liquifire
80 Liquifire
80 Spitfire
83 Snowfire
JRC ETD

Race story

Post by JRC ETD »

Please catch the insight to the technical part of the story, Brian mentioned that the race was west to east, Regina to Minot this year and the wind blows the drifts eastward creating drifting that can be approached faster racing from the west. The long hours driving to the muti-day ditch races was spent looking out the window and picking lines down the ditches in your mind that matched the speed of the suburban, this always helped read the snow, approaches and plan how to ride! Many times racing routes would change at a county road intersection and you may do a 180 and go north, the drifiting would change immediatly and you would have to adapt. Long races were as much mental as any preparation! Very quickly picking lines allowed your mind to move faster than the subudan was traveling and then you moved your eyes further up the ditch and mentally accelerated. Best JRC
Danzig

Race story

Post by Danzig »

kenwaters wrote:Paul,

You'd be chatting too if a ditch banging champ like Nelson was interested in your race season! :wink: :wink:

Hey, where were you at the RWTC VC? It would have been nice to see you and your Liquifire there, besides, Troy had his hands full keeping Lindner in line! :dance: :dance:
Trust me, I would have been there if I could have.
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
#269liquidater

Race story

Post by #269liquidater »

Richard
In response to your question on the # on the Dater that followed me most of the way to Minot, I did not see the #. Some one else asked where my home was back then and its the same as now, Spicer Mn. I started out in Willmar and moved to Spicer in 1976.
Brian