pj sportfire

'80 Sportfire for Charity

Post by pj sportfire »

Parts To Get: :pray:
- Engine w/ ignition coils, CDI, etc.
- Engine base plate
- VM/34 PJ Carb
- Exhaust Y-pipe
- Hood & related headlight hardware, bulb, etc.
- Windshield
- Drive belt
- Sparkplugs
- Engine fan air inlet duct
- Secondary drive jackshaft bearings
- Fuel system service parts (new fuel hose, shut-off valve, fuel pump, in-tank check valve, etc.)
- Rear flap and flap bar

Parts Successfully Gotten: :clap:
- Right ski & spring
- Black and silver paint
- Decals

Current Participants: (parts, time or fund donations pledged or pledging) :dance: :beers;
jdmatt
deerkid9
winnepegstpaul9
jd600
pj sportfire
webman
river rat
jdt
take it to the limit
wycrumb
buck43
hoosierdeereman
tmartin
(please let me know if I've missed somebody.. :redface: )
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

buck43 wrote:Like some of the others im to far away to help in the work part but would like to donate some money. How about the price for a decal set? Send me addres so I can send money or the decal set to you. Shannon
PM jdmatt for the fund stuff and he'll take care of you. Thanks a million for helping! :clap:

pj
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

HoosierDeereMan wrote:PJ,

I'm at the very bottom of Indiana. I haven't graduated up to the fire series yet so I can't help with parts. However if you can co-ordinate some work days, I would be willing to make the trip north for a weekend or two to help do some wrenching or what ever needs done to help with the project.

Troy
Once we get a bunch of parts around, I'll set aside some days where maybe we could all meet up at the shop to get our hands dirty with this thing, share a beer or two and tell some lies.. :whistle: :liar:

Oh yeah...it would be nice to meet some of you guy's too! :lol:

pj
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

DeereKid9 wrote:PJ,
I will donate time in the shop. Cameron might also if his schedule allows. We could probably put Troy, or anybody else for that matter, up at the Turtle Town Inn if needed.
Bob
ok Bob, but you have to promise to be on your best behavior around here, otherwise, we'll have to break out the Amber Chevrolet Yard Stick and watch the Commish give you a disciplinary spankin' in front of everybody! :redface: We don't allow any of that Busco riff-raff in these parts... :lol22:

pj
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

tmartin wrote:I am too far away to assist in the build but when you figure out what it needs i may be able to come up with some hard to find parts. I have an 80 sporty thats too far gone to fix but mostly complete. One cylinder is bad, the crank is rusted tight, the track is shot, bumpers smashed, etc. I usually dont like parting with anything but if its for a good cause and its nothing I will need I would consider parting with it. Hope I can help.

Travis
I have an engine lined up, but it's hurt and will need some TLC to get her going again. We might need a cylinder, so I'll keep you posted on what it needs once it gets here. :smile:

pj
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

wycrumb wrote:Too far away as well, but I do have some fire series parts so I will answer the call if there is something I see that you guys need! Maybe if this becomes something we decide to do each year we can change the location of the build, then everyone would have a chance to help in person and drink a beer.
PM sent Wyatt. :smile:

pj
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

JRC ETD wrote:A thought, build it, have Brian Nelson ride it on the Vintage Challange, get milage sponsors for the trip, then raffle or auction the sled and split the money HOF and breast cancer donations. The JD sled ladies could held getting milage sponsors and make it a real win/win for all! JRC
Whatever you guy's think is best is good enought for me/us. :beers;

pj
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

WinnipegStPaul9 wrote:Jon, can we paint it pink and instead of ski skins put on some Thorlo's?? Seriously, I'm game for anything but Cancer and/or HOF are high on my list. DA
Ohhh boy, I can see DA is going to be a handfull already and I'm not sure I can handle you AND Bob in the same place at the same time... :pray: Wanna donate some chrome?!?!

pj
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

TakeItToTheLimit wrote:As I stated before, I am in for anything but Make A Wish. Obviously the HOF is a priority...as would anything for Cancer. I lost my Mother when I was 5 years old (she was only 38) to Cancer & my Father passed of Cancer at 76 as well.

I am willing to furnish NOS parts...simply keep me informed.

-Rich
Thanks a bunch Rich and whatever parts you see on the list that we need that you may have to spare, just let me know or send 'em this way- we'll all appreciate it I'm sure! :beers;

pj
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

PJ.. I am willing to donate any and all parts from this running 80 sporty to help with this project.. Or if you want to up the ante to a 82 sporty,,I will also supply the 82 chassis with a nice rubber track..I also have a nos sporty rear bumper to throw at you.. We will have to figure a way to get it there..I am back to work.. Little slow for a couple weeks,then watch out.!!!! :popcorn: Frankie

Attachments:
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

PJ, I have the windshield. Just got it from Frankie and haven't even taken it out of the box yet. We need to get the handle bars over to Reckon and get them plated. What do you think about taking the tunnel to ProStrip on State Street? Oh, I just read Frankie's thread about the rear bumper.......of course we'll have to have it plated too........ DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

The primary clutch seems to work fine, but if you'd like to freshen it up anyway, I can send it to you. (pm me your address) I have a NOS secondary clutch that Amber gave me that we can use, so we're already covered on that end. :)

pj
tmartin

Post by tmartin »

pj sportfire wrote:
tmartin wrote:I am too far away to assist in the build but when you figure out what it needs i may be able to come up with some hard to find parts. I have an 80 sporty thats too far gone to fix but mostly complete. One cylinder is bad, the crank is rusted tight, the track is shot, bumpers smashed, etc. I usually dont like parting with anything but if its for a good cause and its nothing I will need I would consider parting with it. Hope I can help.

Travis
I have an engine lined up, but it's hurt and will need some TLC to get her going again. We might need a cylinder, so I'll keep you posted on what it needs once it gets here. :smile:

pj
I know I have one good cylinder(not sure which side but I will find out), a good case, fan tower, engine mounting plate, heads, y-pipe, stator, and flywheel. One cylinder is scored, not terrible, but it is, and the crank is definately shot. Let me know how I can help.

Travis
Last edited by tmartin on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 John Deere 400-Fall 08-Ongoing project
1980 John Deere Trailfire 340 (RAT)- Spring 09- Daily rider
1982 John Deere Trailfire 340 - Spring 12- Daily rider
1980 John Deere Liquifire 440- Fall 12
1976 Arctic Cat Jag 2000 F/A Fall 10
1976 Arctic Cat Jag 3000F/A- Summer 10-Daily Rider
1980 Arctic Cat Jag 3000F/A-Summer 10
1988 & 1991 Polaris Indy 650s
"If You Don't Know Where To Start, Go Back To The Beginning"
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

PJ,

I can offer some of my NOS parts for this project. Off the top of my head, I have NOS: rear suspension, multi angle helix, wieghts and pin kits, leaf springs, etc. Let me know what you end up needing as this comes together.

I do not have a complete motor, but I do know where one is. Seller wanted $300 for it, but maybe I can talk him down.

Keep us posted...
-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

DA.. Like Rich said..THREE SLOW BREATHS.. You just wanted to make me study the books a little harder didn't you.?? WELL..It worked,,I couldn't get the books out fast enough..Thought maybe I had missed something about the 80 sporty.. BUT,, If you want to put an extra coat of chrome on the bumper,,Guess it's o-k with me.. :lol22: :lol22: :popcorn: Frankie