Finding the Charity Sled a New Owner

400brian

Finding the Charity Sled a New Owner

Post by 400brian »

I was talking with Uncle Don Monday evening, and we were talking about how the Charity Sportfire is wrapping up. Sounds like everything is ready for the build day, except for, as Don says: '"whatever I've forgotten!" :bonk:

Don went on to say that we have one more issue to resolve; how do we sell it?
This has been the question from day one. Do we auction it, or raffle it?
There are pros and cons to each. I had been thinking about this. My question has been; is the sled going to sell for enough money to justify all the time and effort put into it? Would we have been better off just donating some money to the HOF and the cancer fund?

Don explained the situation to me from a different perspective, and I can certainly see he's got a point.

First, what is a restored Sportfire worth? what is a reasonable expectation? Don's been asking that question, and he feels that $4000 is the top. Sounds like Dator money to me, but OK, let's go with that. That means we would be donating $2000 to each of our charities. Not inconsequential, but was it worth all the effort?

OK Don says, now if we were to raffle it, how many tickets could we sell?
( Matt says we have a few over 200 active members on the JD list ) If each member sold 10 tickets at $10 ea, that would get us $20,000 :beers;

Now that is a lot more bang for the buck, and seems a lot more worth the effort.

There would be details to work out. The HOF would have to be OK with it, and Loren would probably have to run the raffle ( I'm assuming he has a State license to run one ) Tickets would have to be printed of course.
Don wants to debute the sled at the A-1 show, November 7-8th, so we need to hash this out now!

Are we as a group willing to sell raffle tickets? Many have already contributed much, parts, labor, money, but everyone can participate in this. :clap:

Let's hear your thoughts.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
79 Spitfire

Re: Finding the Charity Sled a New Owner

Post by 79 Spitfire »

I'd say $10.00 is to much for one ticket. I'd like to see it raffled, with a ticket being $5.00 and each after $3.00.

As in I buy a ticket for $5.00 then i get (insert how many more I want here) for $3.00.

James
James

1979 Spitfire 340
1980 Trailfire 440
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Since I spoke earlier with Brian I've learned that some states (Wisconsin being one of them) have rules/license requirements for a raffle. When I mentioned a raffle earlier to Loren he wasn't too excited about it because the HOF is having their own raffle for the spring show so he wasn't keen on two raffles. Now I know why...ie..WI laws.

Spitfire I'm NOT advocating a raffle versus auction but I do feel that a $10.00 ticket is appropriate.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I think that the raffle would be the best if your looking to get in the money range you are talking about, as far as an auction goes I don't think you'll get the money your looking for out of it even though it's for a good cause.
Yes we'll ALL have to step up & try to sell some tickets, I don't think $10.00 a ticket is out of range $5.00 ea. being the lowest.
Now the question is, is there anyone out there who works at a printing facility that can donate the tickets? Or anyone willing to donate for the Price of the printing?

Just my $.0745 worth

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
kenwaters

Post by kenwaters »

Brian and crew,

Determining how to sell the sled is important, but marketing the raffle sled for its value is equally important. The facts on this sled are important to showcase-as that will also increase the "buzz" about owning it. The Make A Wish sled in past years has had a good team promoting it and the end result shows. Aside from being a restored Sportfire, the sled is also going to be driven at the HOF event right? We need to publicize this information as well. Getting the driver involved along with some memorabilia, maybe some decal work on the sled showcasing the charities that will benefit from the raffle, maybe something from the charities themselves as a thank you to the new owner. Don and company are putting a TON of effort into this sled and their efforts are recognized, thank you. Maybe all of the sled builders might sign the sled someplace inconspicuous-under the hood, on the tunnel under the gas tank, or the seat bottom.
Kenny Waters(boy)
Rochester, NY

Mechanic for founding VDR teammate JDJR
Opinions are worthless...Education is priceless
Aspiring to be the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

'74 X-6
'75 X-8
'75 340S
'77 340 Liquifire
'78 440 Liquifire
'80 Spitfire
'80 Liquifire (completed VC and sometimes raced)
'81 Liquifire (bib #212f Red Lake Vintage CC Sled)
'82 Liquifire
'83 Liquifire
'83 Sprintfire (1 runner +2 parts sleds)
'96 Indy Storm (hated by JDJR and Thundercats)
WinnipegStPaul9

kenwaters wrote: Maybe all of the sled builders might sign the sled someplace inconspicuous-under the hood, on the tunnel under the gas tank, or the seat bottom.
Kenny, I was thinking the same thing so I bought a poster off of Ebay featuring a 1980 Sportfire. I plan on having everyone at the "build" sign the poster then everyone involved signing it as time permits.

Secondly, Randy Follman was gracious enough to make us one heck of deal on the cover. I'm reluctant to have anyone sign the hood of the sled but what about having all ETD guys sign the cover? Love to hear your comments.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
T White

Post by T White »

Hi,
I think a raffle would clearly raise more money than an auction. How about printing a limited number of
tickets at a higher price. If you printed 200 tickets for $50.00 I would buy a couple. I think this approach
would make it easier to sell all the tickets. People like me that never win anything might take a chance with
the better odds of winning.
79 Spitfire

Post by 79 Spitfire »

WinnipegStPaul9 wrote: Spitfire I'm NOT advocating a raffle versus auction but I do feel that a $10.00 ticket is appropriate.

DA
It's just my opinion, he asked for opinions I gave him my opinion. NO harm taken.

James
James

1979 Spitfire 340
1980 Trailfire 440
Den

Post by Den »

Just my thought...
I'm sure most of us would buy a ticket for $10. Heck I'd probably go $20+, but the
real question is, would you sell twice as many tickets @ $5 than you would @ $10???
I don't know the answer, I'm just putting it out there...
Either way I could sell a bunch. (If indeed a raffle is the going choice)
RLFollman

Post by RLFollman »

If you create opportunity --- if people know they have a chance to win --- you'll get more attention, generate more discussion, and have better participation by more people from a raffle than an auction.

IMHO, I'd like to see the members of this great site and others in the snowmobiling community have the opportunity --- a chance --- to win this amazing snowmobile.

If the decision is made to hold a raffle, please include me to help sell tickets, and I'll even purchase some myself. A price of $10 per ticket seems realistic.
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

Don ..... you already know how I feel about this as we talked about it a couple of times.
I agree with most of you that the raffle is the way to go. It gives everybody who cares about the sled
a chance to actually own it at a reasonably small investment. I would not go lower than $10 a ticket
with no price breaks to make things as simple as possible. By far I think the most money would be raised
by selling tickets. I'm sure we could come up with plenty of volunteers at the big shows to sit and sell tickets
and this would open it up to the general public and not just members of this site.
Would it be possible to use pay pal to send money and buy tickets immediately?
Keep up the good work boys and thanks for all you are doing! :clap:

Joe
Please add your Real Name in your User Profile or at least your first Name!
JDT

Post by JDT »

I am all in for the Raffle plan.

$10.00 a pop is great and once prospective buyers see what they are taking a chance at winning and understand what charites are benifiting from this project I feel they will sell fast.

I would suggest a few pictures left on the JDSleds home page until the raffle is over so people can see what they are buying a chance on.

Another issue is delivery. We need to make delivery part of winning in my opinion.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
pjr

Post by pjr »

Whatever you guys' decide to do is good with me, as I'm just that little mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragger kid in the back of the classroom taking it all in... :bonk: :lol:

Oh yeah, I'll take 10 tickets at 10 bux/each and I'll need a bunch to sell around here too. :beers;

peej
WinnipegStPaul9

OK, I'm going to post this info but then I'm bailing from this subject only because I'm up to my ears in the sled and other projects.

Wisconsin and Pennsylvania both have licensed raffles and we don't meet the criteria. Indiana does NOT. How about someone not in WI,PA, or IN checking the laws in your state.

Someone is going to have to step up to the plate soon as we need to have tickets ready to sell before Columbus Day. Tom White from the NH site wants a bunch of tickets to sell at their show which is HUGE!! Thanks Tom.

OK, don't get mad at me but I'm done with this subject, someone else please carry the ball.. Naturally I'm in for a few tickets myself and yes I think they need to sell for $10.00.

Over and out............

DA
400brian

Post by 400brian »

It appears Indiana had new gaming laws take effect in July.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Charitab ... g/Indiana/

How about someone who belongs to a non-profit in WI run this for us.

You have to be a registered non-profit for a year before you can run a raffle.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.