Re: Replacement Piston for the 295/S

Topics related to the 295/S, 340/S, Liquidator, and Cross Country
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

IF we come up with a replacement Piston for the 295/S at a reasonable cost, ( Not sure what that will be at this time Or if this even will happen) I have found a piston that I do believe will work BUT you WILL have to bore your cylinders. I am still checking to see if reproduction is possible as these pistons were out of production in the early 90's
I will keep the everyone updated..
Is there any interest in this??

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Matt

Post by Matt »

How much does boring typically cost?
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Someone else can maybe comment on that, Too bad we don't have a member that does boring, I'm sure we could send him some business??

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

ive got a local guy who is a nationally recognized go kart engine builder who fit my 340/s jugs he would have good turn around time especially this time of year and would be reasonable , he is 2 blocks from my house so he is convenient for me but he ships daily he has made a few fixtures for pwc motors and im sure if he had some 295 jugs to do he would set himslf up to do so how much would these need bored ? i can get a price with that info wade
how thick are the iron liners in the cylinders i wouldn t want to blow through one into the aluminum :wall: :wall:
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

At this point I'm not far enough along to comment on boring. But I would think he should be able to let you know a price, I wouldn't think that it would matter how much he was taking out ( .005 to .040 ) as the setup would be the price factor.
There is more than enough meat there to go .040 or a little over..

Kenny
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

actually he would do the bore jobs in his hone , rather than a boring bar , i skipped vocational tech that day haha but honing would have its advantages and disadvantages from a boring bar dont know ?? the jury is probably still out on that one wade
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
Dator76

Post by Dator76 »

a flex hone is not the best way to bore unless you got lots of time. I use a vertical powerfeed mill with a boring bar, then a rigid hone to finish the hole, not a flex hone. finally when possible i use a torque plate the entire time as the torque on the bolts pulls the cylinder slightly out of round when its torqued down. a seasoned (used) cylinder is preferred over a nos cylinder as when it heats and cools it develops a "shape" which is different from new...
Thanks,
Ted

3 Liquidators
1-340/S
1-295/S
1-78 Cross Country Liquifire
Gave away-sold-swapped:8 Liquidators, 78 C.C. Liquifire, 340/S, 295/S, 84 Snowfire, 82 Liquifire, 80 Liquifire, 78 440 liquifire, 77 Liquifire.
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

ted sounds like you are better equipped to do this than my go kart guy .he has a rigid hone . but of course no fixtures ,torque plates etc for anything other than kart stuff . wade
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

OK guys here is a fix for our 295/S piston shortage.. NOTE: these are also rare & out of production but are available on ebay from time to time. Sometime next Spring I will contact Wiseco to see if these can be possibly repoped a a lower price, as they may still have the tooling for these?? ( IT seems that Wiseco stopped production in the mid 90's on these replacement pistons )
What I have found out:
Yamaha had a ET300 that used a 56mm bore. I have found that with either boring or honing they will work in the 295/S.
NOTE I have only tried this on an engine by installing the cyl. NOT a running engine.. So Caveat Emptor..
ALSO, the Yamaha pistons use a 16mm wrist pin so to get to a 22mm OD ( the size of the 295/S rod little end ) a JLO wrist pin bearing is needed..

Parts Needed:
A pair of Yamaha Pistons # 8K0-11631-00-96 ( std Bore ) this part number comes without rings, wrist pins, or C-clips
( I don't know the exact Part # for the Rings, wrist pins or C-clips )
OR a Pair of Wiseco 2299PS Pistons, ( std bore ) these should come with rings, wrist pin, & C-clips
You also will need a pair of JLO Wrist pin bearings ( OEM number ) 000-39-112-53 or from "Moto Source" or "Kimpex"
PN 09-515 ( these are 16mm ID X 22mm OD X 17mm length )
I would also suggest a very thin base gasket, I will try to see if I can get Cometic to produce some thin ones for us..

Hope this will help some of you get through the winter

Ken
JDT

Post by JDT »

Good job Kenny.!! :clap:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

He's amazing isn't he?

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JDT

Post by JDT »

Kenny really knows his stuff, you bet!
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
monte44

Post by monte44 »

I will be the guinea pig and try this. I have located a pair of pistons from a guy locally and my best friend does engine boring. What do you think for base gasket thickness?
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Monte, if you only want to run the top ring ( what I would recommended ) then a std. 0.0172 ( Deere specs ) base gasket will work, But if you want to try using both rings then I would try to make one as thin as you can passably make it and not tear it, some old sleds used to have some paper gaskets that were so thin they were almost transparent. I would say if you can get some made @ 0.0100 max??
Just make sure to use a lite coat of oil on both sides of the gasket when you install it, nothing else...
If you can't find any JLO wrist pin bearings let me know as I can hook you up with a guy who has a few NOS ones..
Note sure what brand pistons your using but Wiseco recommends .003 - .004 clearance on there pistons..
Keep us posted
Kenny
Cabindweller

Post by Cabindweller »

ICCSF 108 wrote:Monte, if you only want to run the top ring ( what I would recommended ) then a std. 0.0172 ( Deere specs ) base gasket will work, But if you want to try using both rings then I would try to make one as thin as you can passably make it and not tear it, some old sleds used to have some paper gaskets that were so thin they were almost transparent. I would say if you can get some made @ 0.0100 max??
Just make sure to use a lite coat of oil on both sides of the gasket when you install it, nothing else...
If you can't find any JLO wrist pin bearings let me know as I can hook you up with a guy who has a few NOS ones..
Note sure what brand pistons your using but Wiseco recommends .003 - .004 clearance on there pistons..
Keep us posted
Kenny

What if you shaved the top of the crank case about 0.0075?

Jerry
Old sleds are hours of entertainment.... then you get to ride them for a little bit.