Mean Green Paint codes......

Contains tips for painting and codes that our members have used.
WinnipegStPaul9

Re: Mean Green Paint codes......

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Great information Jim! Thanks.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
HoosierDeereMan

Post by HoosierDeereMan »

Jim,

Thank You very much for sharing this information!!!!!!! This has been a very very hot topic among several of us. Everyones goal is to get this color right. This is a huge help.

Troy
'72 400
'73 400, (2)500's, 600
'74 295/S (restored) 2010 HOF poker run survivor.
'75 800, JDX8,
'75 340/S 2011 & 2012 Vintage Challenge finisher.
'76 (2)400's
'78 Liquifire 340,440
'79 Spitfire
"If it has Tits, Tires, or Tracks it's gonna cost you money!"
I500

Post by I500 »

Now, you guys all know i love you and mean no dis-respect buuuuut, have you all gone crazy. When painting there are just to many variables to complicate things. Primer colors, types, temp when spraying , shop conditions, who,s doing the mixing, spraying and so on . Somebody, someplace and sometime will jump your case for ruining there project because they copied your codes and they were dissapointed in the results because they think its a 1/4 of a shade off. Been there done that and will never do it again------ever. Dont be so lazy and figure your own paint out. Its not that difficult and more rewording. Sorry guys ,it needed to be told.... Now back to the program. :whistle:
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

I500 we had that discussion at the paint store when buying paint for my two rescent projects . there were two different colors that were close , the guy behind the counter says both could be your color or neither depanding on the variables you mentioned plus temp, reducer speed ,thickeness of each coat . number of coats types of clearcoat and many more . having said that gm elkhart green is balls on when alplied correctly whatever the brand
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
75rat

Post by 75rat »

I500 wrote:Now, you guys all know i love you and mean no dis-respect buuuuut, have you all gone crazy. When painting there are just to many variables to complicate things. Primer colors, types, temp when spraying , shop conditions, who,s doing the mixing, spraying and so on . Somebody, someplace and sometime will jump your case for ruining there project because they copied your codes and they were dissapointed in the results because they think its a 1/4 of a shade off. Been there done that and will never do it again------ever. Dont be so lazy and figure your own paint out. Its not that difficult and more rewording. Sorry guys ,it needed to be told.... Now back to the program. :whistle:
I disagree....

The crazy part is everyone having to come up with their own paint fomula to match a standard JD color. If one can use the original JD paint formula why wouldn't you? I don't consider this being lazy, it's being smart. When painting a JD tractors I've always used the standard JD paint formulas and have never considered mixing a special formula for each one (and never had a complaint either). Why should snowmobiles be any different? We're not trying to match the color on a 1934 Duesenberg.

As you stated, there are a lot of variables that can affect how a paint job turns out. I totally agree, especially when spraying metallics. But that has been and will always be an issue, no matter what formula is used. I'm sure Horicon had color variations depending on the lot of paint, the painter, when it was done, etc. Also keep in mind, the chemistry of today's urethane and BC/CC paint is very different from old school lacquers and enamels. So try as we might, we'll never be able to achieve that perfect match.

My 2¢
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

I think it's time for a singing of "Koomb Byya My Lord Koomb Byya" LMAO (may not be acurate spelling)

I honestly think working together as a community and getting things right for everyone is the way it should be, I mean why withhold info or not share experiences about procedures, paint codes, techniques to get paint right etc. The point of a website like this is for guys who love JD sleds to be able to keep them alive and restore them for future generations...so if that means telling me how to paint my 77 Cyclone so it looks like the original and not like a 78 4020 tractor I hope your there to help! :canadasmile:
[
JD600

Post by JD600 »

I agree. However, Deere quit building 4020's in 1972 :lol22:

DE
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Matt wrote:
ChickenRat wrote:First off, I want to say that the place I sent this off to is highly specialized and WILL get a perfect match.

I have mixed feelings about sharing the paint formula. I just took a beating with the Polaris Midnight Blue color match. I had some spray cans mixed up for touch up and sold a few extras off to try to recoup some of my $$ on that project. In 2-3 weeks I had around 75-100 e-mails looking for nothing more than the paint formula. And was called flat outright an A-Hole for not sharing it with many of them. After trying to explain my point of view in trying to recoup some of my $$ and said if they bought a can, I'd share the formula. Still called an A-Hole. So I ended up selling a few cans but I elected not to share the formula because of the beating I took. And I won't share that formula. I took the time & effort and spent the $$ to get it done. They can too.

Now, on the other hand, many members of this site have treated me very well over the years and I am sure that I would share the Spitfire formula with these members.

Robb
That's interesting. Did you consider just selling the formula (Photocopy or PDF of the paperwork from your vendor)? Matt
I would assume the problem would be that once one copy was sold, it would likely be the last, as those dastardly Polarass guys would quickly pass it around! :bonk:

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
ChickenRat

Post by ChickenRat »

I've decided to keep the Blue code for myself. I was notified that the Spitfire hood piece was recieved today. Should have a formula by next week. Hopefully get a '78 Spit painted up next summer.

Robb
Matt

Post by Matt »

400brian wrote:
Matt wrote:
ChickenRat wrote:First off, I want to say that the place I sent this off to is highly specialized and WILL get a perfect match.

I have mixed feelings about sharing the paint formula. I just took a beating with the Polaris Midnight Blue color match. I had some spray cans mixed up for touch up and sold a few extras off to try to recoup some of my $$ on that project. In 2-3 weeks I had around 75-100 e-mails looking for nothing more than the paint formula. And was called flat outright an A-Hole for not sharing it with many of them. After trying to explain my point of view in trying to recoup some of my $$ and said if they bought a can, I'd share the formula. Still called an A-Hole. So I ended up selling a few cans but I elected not to share the formula because of the beating I took. And I won't share that formula. I took the time & effort and spent the $$ to get it done. They can too.

Now, on the other hand, many members of this site have treated me very well over the years and I am sure that I would share the Spitfire formula with these members.

Robb
That's interesting. Did you consider just selling the formula (Photocopy or PDF of the paperwork from your vendor)? Matt
I would assume the problem would be that once one copy was sold, it would likely be the last, as those dastardly Polarass guys would quickly pass it around! :bonk:
Duh, had not thought of that. Easy there, I hope to have a 3-cyl Centurion one of these days!
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
mikehjd

Post by mikehjd »

I am currently rebuilding dads polaris centurion he bought brand new. I am going to paint it the exact original color because I am going to restore it toatally and want it to look original. A buddy restores polaris and has a paint code so I should have no trouble.