Liquifire: 80-81 VS. 82-84?

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
gixxer6

Re: Liquifire: 80-81 VS. 82-84?

Post by gixxer6 »

Both the standard Invader and the 4/6 came with 36mm Mikuni Power Jets. What did Liquifires come with?
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

I belive they also had the 36mm power jets.
Scott Kyle,
Liquifire: 77 (440) (2), 600: 73,74,75
Massey Whirlwind: 76 440 (2)
Mercury Hurricane 644: 72,73
OMC Snowcruiser: 66,68,70
Rupp: 70 34 Sprint
Allouettte Super Brute: 74 (5)
OTC Deere sled dyno
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

All 80 to 84's had Mikuni VM 36 power jet carbs. The jetting was changed for 1982.
AirborneX4Special

Guys
The scan function on my printer appears to be on vacation so I am unable to scan the documents for posting. :wall:

I took a picture, but it's not terribly useful because the graph is small on the page and it will be difficult to learn anything. :boohoo:

At this point, you will have to rely on my limited descriptive skills.
Norton

Post by Norton »

Pat, & others following this thread,
I have an aftermarket Indy 400 (84 to 89 model) CDI unit on order for our 82 Liquifire. When it is installed I need to check the timing at several different rpm's. Problem is that I don't have specifications to start with. TM-1217 does not give degrees or thousands of an inch BTDC, only "line up mark on stator to mark on crankcase". Kaw. FAQ does not cover the subject either. The CD box should change timing as engine warms, right?

Anyone else have timing specifications for the 82 thru 84 Liquifire????

Thanks,
keith
AirborneX4Special

Keith
This 82 Changes and Improvements is no better. It only has line up marks on the crankcase stuff along with verbage about how this method " has been found to be the most accurate ", even for 80/81 LF's. I can only assume the cdi/coil has adjustment functions as everything gets warm. When coils are weak, they tend to fail when warm, at least that has been my experience. Deere calls the coil/cdi thing the "trigger unit" in this bulletin. Deere also tells us in this bulletin that no timing light is required for the retard ignition. The graph pictured shows the two ignition curves relative to each other and plotted degrees BDTC vs engine RPM x 1000; both curves start at 11 degrees BDTC. I think you are supposed to lock the stator using one of the 3 alignment windows they discuss and "it" handles the job. This would be a great topic for my JD sled mechanic if he hadn't moved away!

Pat
buddyc

Post by buddyc »

Just wondering if anyone figured anything else out on the indy cdi unit. Would be nice to find a replacement for the cdi/coil unit,as all i have is a stator for a "82" and would like to run the newer ignition.
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hello buddyc,

I have little to report on the usage of the Indy 400 CDI/coil pack usage on the 82-84 Liquifire. A couple of weeks back I did install it on my 82 Liquifire! The sled started right up, has a nice blue spark but will not rev over 5K without any spit back or backfire. The rev limiter is not in the circut either. Now I need to put degree timing marks on the clutch face, bend up a pointer and check where the timing is now at different rpm's. I have been trying to locate the timing specs for the 80-81 and 82-84 Liquifres but it seems that Deere never published those numbers. I did find a post in FAQ that the 80-81 was 16 degrees BTDC at 6500 rpm. So I guess unless I find another source that will have to be my base to start from. As additional information I have been checking around on the Polaris side of the equation and looking to find out what the timing range/curve was for the Indy 400 but that has not been real fruitful either. The process has been slowed down because of this and the fact the farm is more important than my hobby.

If some one could provide the timing specs for a 82-84 Liquifire at 3000 and 7000 that would be wonderful! Even if it meant checking a good running survivor!!!!

Buddyc hope this helps and you could help out too if you could help locate those timing specs.

keith
buddyc

Post by buddyc »

I'll see what i can find out!!
JDGuy

Post by JDGuy »

Rich reported in a post (now removed) in Dec. 2006 that 80/81 LF advance is approximately 2 degrees @ 1000 RPM, approximately 12 degrees @ 3000 RPM, 16 degrees @ 6500 RPM. He mentioned that 82/84 had a totally different advance curve, but he did not list any detail. You could contact him at vintagesleds.com "Take it to the limit". Rich was a Deere territory manger/sled enthuiast.
AirborneX4Special

Guys
As per the graph thing in the bulletin, Deere says the maintenance rpm is the same as 80/81, but that is where the specifics end. My neice is a photographer; perhaps she will have some input for me on enlarging these pictures for posting. Bear in mind this graph thing is only an illustration for comparison purposes. The guy from vintagesleds sounds like a real opportunity for knowledge enhancement.

Pat
Norton

Post by Norton »

If we can get enough folks working together, maybe we can solve the shortage of the 82-84 HSRI box! Least it is worth a try. Maybe a Deere test engineer from the day, will leave a post with all the info we need???? I have visited with Rich about this and offered to assist any way he could but he did not have specs either.

later,
kb
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Couldn't you send one of the 82-84 units to Hewtech for reverse engineering?

Ken
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Norton

Post by Norton »

Ken,
Sent an e-mail to Hewtech a few weeks back and never got a reply. I did visit with Image awhile back and they will rebuild the CDI portion of the HSRI but if the coil (transformer) is bad it is junk. Some of us have nothing to send in for rebuild or even reverse engineering. Do you think I/we are going around this the HARD way? I am open to any ideas or options....

keith
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I think going to Image might be costly as I'm sure Bob sends them out to get rebuilt, & then marks up the price, IT might be a good idea to find HIS re-builder?? I think contacting Hewtech by phone might get you more results & explain the part & situation?? Surely someone out there has one that is bad or they think is bad that could be sent to Hewtech?? My thought would be that if one was going to be rebuilt that I would want the whole thing rebuilt not just one end or the other ( meaning both the coil & CDI portion ).. Is there anyway to figure out WHO built them for Deere? Maybe they could/would do another run??
I don't have one here or I would offer it up, & I won't get to where we have one until July..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?