1980 Liquifire Project

This is where you can post the story & photos of your John Deere Snowmobile project.
cledussnow77

Re: 1980 Liquifire Project

Post by cledussnow77 »

Looking awsome Terre, keep it up. :beers; Will we see it at our North Webster summer show and swap next year or maybe at the Bronson show? :whistle: :popcorn:
Nothing Runs Like A Deere
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Thanks Ed. I'm holding back a few surprises for the end so stay tuned. I'm not sure what I am going to do next summer, I am hoping to save some money to buy a little bit better trailer, at least an actual snowmobile trailer with a protective shield in front. Right now all my money is going into the Liquifire, and it doesn't seem to stop, so we will have to wait and see where we are at next spring. It would be nice to find a nice enclosed one, and that is the goal, but right now it's not going to happen. The shows are a long way off, so we will do our best to make it there.
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Made it out in the garage this evening for a little work. I got the parts back from the platers last week, they look pretty good, and it only cost me $10. So I got out the blaster and cleaned up the rest of the secondary parts along with the spring. The spring is now a nice shade of blue. Got a good start on putting it back together along with the new cam buttons, thanks Brock. Here's a couple of pics to keep you guys going.
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Here is the info on the plater, I used for my parts, but there is some details you should know . Moore metal Finishing, located in Toledo Ohio, did the plating. I took in 2 sheave halves, 2 starter block off plates and the hardware to my brake caliper. They did it all for $10, lunch money as they called it. So if you go there, it is cash only, no checks, and no credit, or debit cards, cash only. They are more than willing to take walk ins, as they like to have free lunches, that seemed to be the theme of my visit.

I would also recommend you do some prep work before taking in any parts. They do a good job with cleaning off dirt, oil and grease but they don't do anything with rust, and they won't touch anything with paint on it. The inside of my sheaves had some surface rust on them, and even thought the plating covers the rust, the surface is still rough looking from the rust. So a little prep and you will have some excellent looking parts, at little expense to you. I also asked whether they would accept parts that are shipped to them, and they said in some cases they do. If you have some parts that you want to ship, you can give them a call and talk to them about it. They are very nice people, and were more than willing to help me with my plating. I'm not sure what the going rate on plating is, but $10 seemed pretty cheap to me. I will be going back that's for sure.

The parts I had plated were done in yellow zinc dichromate, which isn't an exact match to the original, but I don't think that method (cadmium) is done any more. They also do zinc nickel chromate, silver looking, and black zinc dichromate. Here is the address for their website, so you can take a look.

http://www.mooremetalfinishing.com/index.htm

The pictures above don't do it justice, I was using a camera phone, which doesn't have the best resolution. The color is much brighter when you see them in person, and there is some blue in the plating, but they still look great, much better than painting them, like I did on my 77 Liquifire. I will be redoing those next summer for sure.
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Finished up the primary clutch this morning. We're using a Comet 108EXP clutch. Disassembled, bead blasted and reassembled with new cam arms, purple spring, and hardware. Now if I can only find the mounting bolt, ummmmm.
Attachments
Comet2.jpg
Comet1.jpg
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Worked on the recoil this afternoon. It's back together and ready to be bolted on.
Attachments
Recoil.jpg
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

Your going to need to make a clear hood for it. Lol
Many new and used parts available, I ship anywhere. Thanks everyone.
Matt

Post by Matt »

johnnycyclone wrote:Worked on the recoil this afternoon. It's back together and ready to be bolted on.
Someone please clean the drool off DA's chin.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

smitfire wrote:Your going to need to make a clear hood for it. Lol
Dustin, you're not helping any....lol

Matt, DA is the one that got me started on chrome. There was so much black on this one, I needed something to add contrast, so why not chrome.

One last picture for the weekend. I didn't like the looks of the dull, oxidized carbs so I base/clear coated the bodies black, and then added a chrome cap, and bowl. They look really sweet, but I don't think you're going to see them very well, once installed. We will see when it's done I guess. More pics hopefully later in the week.
Carbs.jpg
JD600

Post by JD600 »

How well does the Kioritz recoil work on that Kawi? Looks great.

DE
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
JDT

Post by JDT »

:think: :whistle:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

JD600 wrote:How well does the Kioritz recoil work on that Kawi? Looks great.

DE
It's been 2 years since I first put it on, but if I remember correctly it works fine. You have to use the recoil cup from the Kioritz, and if you look at the picture you have to drill out the mounting holes a little to get the clearance needed to get the bolts in. I will bolt it up this weekend and see if my memory is that good, otherwise I will have a nice chrome Kioritz recoil for sale....lol.
Last edited by johnnycyclone on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Here's a little eye candy to get us started this weekend. I decided a few weeks ago to go back to the 2 plug heads, not for performance, just for looks. Since the engine compartment has a lot of black in it I decided to paint the heads Winterfrost II, and then added some clear to make them shine. I think its a nice contrast to the black. I also had the washers for the heads chromed to give it a little more pop. Enjoy....Terre
Head2.jpg
Last edited by johnnycyclone on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDT

Post by JDT »

Now that IS eye candy!!!

Very nice..... :letitsnow:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

Wow that thing is looking awesome man! Love the plating on the secondary.

-Brian
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored