1980 Liquifire Project

This is where you can post the story & photos of your John Deere Snowmobile project.
johnnycyclone

Re: 1980 Liquifire Project

Post by johnnycyclone »

80spitfire wrote:Wow that thing is looking awesome man! Love the plating on the secondary.

-Brian
Thanks Brian, I am very happy with the plating also, I wish I would have know about this place earlier. I am planning on having the one on my 77 redone next summer, only I will go with the zinc nickel on that one. The best part is the cost.
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

johnnycyclone wrote:
80spitfire wrote:Wow that thing is looking awesome man! Love the plating on the secondary.

-Brian
Thanks Brian, I am very happy with the plating also, I wish I would have know about this place earlier. I am planning on having the one on my 77 redone next summer, only I will go with the zinc nickel on that one. The best part is the cost.
Yeah you certainly can't beat that price! I'm always scared taking the cams to paint or plate the sheaves because I don't want to screw up the balance since they're balanced at the factory. If only I could come up with a really good way of marking them so that I know they're right...
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

80spitfire wrote:
johnnycyclone wrote:

-Brian
Yeah you certainly can't beat that price! I'm always scared taking the cams to paint or plate the sheaves because I don't want to screw up the balance since they're balanced at the factory. If only I could come up with a really good way of marking them so that I know they're right...
The plating is actually very, very thin, and it's quite conformal, so it doesn't fill in any imperfections like paint does. So what I did was put small scribe lines on the inner part of the sheaves where the hubs bolt on, that way you can't see them after the hub is bolted on. You can also scribe the underside of the hub to line up with the sheave. I put one scribe line on the outside sheave, and two on the inside, so I wouldn't get them mixed up. The small scribe lines being on the inner parts should not affect the balance at all. The scribe lines don't have to be deep, just some light lines work fine.
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

Oh ok that's good thinking there! I'll have to try that out next time.
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
skoalmint

Post by skoalmint »

LOOKIN GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!! Brock
KamJD600

Post by KamJD600 »

:popcorn: ill send you my sled for your next project
owning a john deere sed is alot like drugs.... ride one once and you are hooked for life]
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

KamJD600 wrote::popcorn: ill send you my sled for your next project
Hey Kam, just pack it full of cash when you ship it, and I will fix er right up.... :lol22:
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

It's been awhile since anything has been done, got a lot of projects around the house to do, so that has taken up most of my free time. I was finally able to spend some time in the garage this evening, and got a couple of things done. The main focus was getting the bumper reattached, along with applying the bumper decal. The decal comes as one long strip, but for me it went on in 3 different pieces. It seems to break pretty a lot easier than the yellow stuff, so it wasn't my finest night. I may still end up buying another one and replacing it, with the intent of putting it on in one piece. Maybe if I delay a little, the urge to replace it will go away.

The hood, and windshield are just sitting there to get an idea of what it's going to look like when done. I still have a little more work to do on the hood, before I can put the decals on, and mount it permanent. If everything goes right this week/weekend it will have it's decals on re-mounted to the chassis. The main goal this week though is to get the seat ready, and down to the upholstery shop. Hopefully we can keep working on it pretty steady over the next few weeks and get it close to done.

Terre
Bumper.jpg
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

I'm going to need a set of coils and a cdi for this one (1980 LTD 4/6), so if anyone has a good working set laying around, that you want to sell let me know.

Haven't had a great week, the dog got a little crazy chasing the cat and knocked the hood off the stands and put a 2" crack in it. Forgot the lower bolt for the rear exhaust bracket, so I had to take the suspension, track, drivers and bulkhead cooler back out, just to put one bolt back in. The bumper also has to come back off, because I have the wrong size bolts in for the front hood bracket. I didn't like the black carbs so those are being stripped back and painted more of an aluminum color, they looking pretty sharp so far. The seat is now at the upholstery shop getting recovered, it's going to be about 3 weeks before it returns. The exhaust is also out for sandblasting and adding a ceramic coating, that should be done within about a week. We will get some more pics later this week when we have some forward progress to show.

Thanks....Terre
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Got an early start on the weekend today, I've got the next 5 days off, and was able to spend some time out in the garage. Installed the hitch and tail light bracket, and ran the electrical wiring to it. Also worked on the main electrical harness, and have most of it done, I still need to connect the gauge lighting, hand warmers and regulator. Carbs are mostly reassembled, and on the sled, just waiting on the parts I ordered from Matt, then we can get them adjusted. I also need to get the choke cable put in. I also installed all new fuel lines, filter, shutoff switch, feed through grommet, and tank pick up/screen, that's done. Hood is just about ready for paint in the repaired area, so hopefully we can get that done this weekend. Oil tank, filter, lines and cable is connected and adjusted. More to come later this weekend, just remember I have a few house projects to work on also, so I don't know how much time I will get to work on it.
Attachments
Carbs2.jpg
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

Those carbs look sweet!!

-Brian
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Terre, that is one AMAZING project. Soooooo cool.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JDT

Post by JDT »

Agreed! Beautiful!!! :clap: :letitsnow:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Brian - I have seen your work, very nice, but you probably know the challenge will be to keep it looking that way. This is going to be a rider, not a trailer queen so it will take some effort to keep it nice. I told my wife it's going to stay in the garage though, and she wasn't too happy. :wall:

Don - I think the appeal is, it's black, and it has chrome :lol22:

Thanks Todd I appreciate the compliment, I can't wait to see it when it finally finished, hopefully in about 3 weeks.

Terre
cledussnow77

Post by cledussnow77 »

Looking pretty awsome Terre, keep up the good work. :beers; Let me know when your finished and I'll bring ya my Liquifire to do. :whistle: :popcorn: :beers; :usa:
Nothing Runs Like A Deere