1983 Sportfire Suspension Shafts

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
jdsledder

1983 Sportfire Suspension Shafts

Post by jdsledder »

I was going thru the suspension on a 83 Sportfire I recently purchased. I was able to get both upper shafts removed from the suspension arms. One of the shafts was made of aluminum and one was made from steel. Does anybody know if this was production? and if so where should the aluminum shaft be placed in the front or the rear suspension arm? I did look in the parts catelog for 83 Sportfire and there were two different part numbers for the shafts. Any help would be appreciated - Thanks
harleysportster

Re: 1983 Sportfire Suspension Shafts

Post by harleysportster »

jdsledder wrote:I was going thru the suspension on a 83 Sportfire I recently purchased. I was able to get both upper shafts removed from the suspension arms. One of the shafts was made of aluminum and one was made from steel. Does anybody know if this was production? and if so where should the aluminum shaft be placed in the front or the rear suspension arm? I did look in the parts catelog for 83 Sportfire and there were two different part numbers for the shafts. Any help would be appreciated - Thanks
Both shafts are original. The steel shaft goes in the front swing arm, the aluminum shaft goes in the back swing arm. It's not uncommon to replace the back aluminum shaft with a steel one. Be sure to grease them up well when reinstalling them.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
ljm

Re: 1983 Sportfire Suspension Shafts

Post by ljm »

What all sleds came with a steel shaft?
Most of the ones I've had apart had either two aluminum shafts or two steel shafts?

I've always been curious what was original.

Thanks
Lloyd
Several Deere's
Several Kawasaki's

ACSCC #1534