Spitfire CDI?

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
81 spitfire

Spitfire CDI?

Post by 81 spitfire »

I am having troubles keeping my 80 spitfire running. It will start fine and I can get it to rev up some of the time and then it just dies. I have tried two different clean carbs and the problem is the same. The engine has all new gaskets and seals, fuel lines, fuel pump, and 125 psi on both sides. I don't believe it is fuel related because I bypasses the pump by adding a gravity fed tank above the air box for testing and there were no noticeable results.

Could this be cause by a bad CDI box that is giving out intermittent spark? If so I have done some searching for a replacement as I do not have one to swap out for testing, and cannot seem to find one that says it is specifically for a spitfire. I can find one for the 78-79 spits, but assume that will not work with the kawasaki motor. I have also found them for trailfires from 80-82. Would the one from a TF work?

Here is the link for the site that I found them on
http://www.psep.biz/store/john_deere_sn ... _boxes.htm
JDT

Re: Spitfire CDI?

Post by JDT »

Sounds like a bad CDI to me.
Somewhat common to see it idle fine and drop dead on any throttle appliction when the CDI is bad.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
liquitisplit80

Post by liquitisplit80 »

81 spitfire wrote: Would the one from a TF work?

No, they are completely different and mount on different sides.
'78 Spitfire
82 Trailfire 340
'80 Trailfire 440
'80 sportfire
'81 liquifire

Still ridin' the New Breed!
81 spitfire

Post by 81 spitfire »

Are there any ones that would work for my 80 spit? I cannot seem to find anything anywhere for the spit. Are there any from any other models that would work?
jdrob

Post by jdrob »

81 spitty Hey the coil/cdi unit is the same on 1980-82 spitfires, some 82-84 trailfires and 82-84 snowfires. The main thing you need to check on the trailfires your finding are do they have an external cdi unit bolted to the fan housing ? If there is none then the coil/cdi unit will work on your spitfire. I hope this helps ! Keep checking ebay they show up sometimes there ! :usa:
Jdrob

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." AE
jdrob

Post by jdrob »

81spitfire I sent you a PM thanks !
Jdrob

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." AE