Tygon vs. Polyurethane fuel line?

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
81 spitfire

Tygon vs. Polyurethane fuel line?

Post by 81 spitfire »

I am planning on redoing my fuel lines with a little higher quality tubing than what I was able to find at the hardware store. I am looking on NewBreed and notice the price difference between the blue polyurethane and the yellow tygon, but other than price what is the difference? I'm assuming that the yellow may be more resistant to the gas/oil, but both say high-quality.

Thanks
http://www.newbreedparts.com/newbreed/i ... &limit=100
JD600

Re: Tygon vs. Polyurethane fuel line?

Post by JD600 »

I personally have had really bad luck with the blue fuel line. It seems to last about a year before it gets very brittle and eventually cracks. I would recommend the yellow tygon as it seems to very resistant to gasoline, oil, and ethanol.

DE
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
Matt

Post by Matt »

I've heard a couple bad storied about the blue line, but I've had it on my Sport for about 5 years now and it's fine. The Tygon is top notch.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Tygon, Tygon, Tygon, Tygon, Tygon, Tygon, Tygon, Tygon.......
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
81 spitfire

Post by 81 spitfire »

Well I decided to go with the tygon. Hopefully it holds up better than the stuff on there now. Why is it every time I shop on NewBreed I end up with more things in my cart than what I was looking for.... :bonk:
ljm

Post by ljm »

My experience with Tygon is that it needs to be clamped, Seems it swells slightly when exposed to gasoline.

When it is clamped it will work for years.
Several Deere's
Several Kawasaki's

ACSCC #1534
skoalmint

Post by skoalmint »

Hey Guys ,I love Tygon hose and i have used it for many many years but im not so sure we should be using it inside the gas tank.Last winter before a planned trip to Mich I had a liquifire that didnt want to run. So thought it wasnt getting fuel ,Checked everything on the carb, pump, looked good.So I took the gas cap off to checkout the pickup hose,something looked strange. So I took a long screwdriver and moved the line around in the tank,Was still fastend to the fitting as well as the check valve.But it still looked strange, So I took my grabber tong tool(Basically a tool that has 4 little wires that come out of a tube w the push of a button) and grabed the line,and when I did it just crushed the line .So after i got it all fished out of the tank .My observation of the line was it was way softer as well as more plyable than normal, as well a little larger in diameter.I should have taken some pics of it.This line was only two seasons old. So with that said i have been using the cheap stuff in the tanks ever since.Because I have taken alot of old lines out of tanks that are still attached,as well as still open for fuel flow.I think mine was colapsing as the pump tried to pull fuel.Changed the line and half a dozen pull she was running.Maybe this is just a freak I dont know but that is my only real issue I have ever had w it.But it is still the best out there. Brock
WinnipegStPaul9

Boy Brock, that is food for thought. JDJR had an issue in the race.
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

Tygon is too soft and will kink in tight areas if your not careful, its only good for vent line in my opinion...I will post the link where I get my fuel line at. give me a few....

www.snoprousa.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-Arctic-Ca ... 3a67bba9b1

The good stuff !
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
harleysportster

Post by harleysportster »

I have had good success with Part's Unlimited Blue line.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
WinnipegStPaul9

Danzig wrote:Tygon is too soft and will kink in tight areas if your not careful, its only good for vent line in my opinion...I will post the link where I get my fuel line at. give me a few....

http://www.snoprousa.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-Arctic-Ca ... 3a67bba9b1

The good stuff !
Uh Paul..............any hose will "kink in tight areas". Why would anyone create that situation? Just sayin....

DA
WinnipegStPaul9

Looks like the bottom line here is..................use what you like.

DA
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

I agree use what you like.

Tygon is super soft in my opinion kinks alot easier thant most hoses I have used.
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
Jekyll

Post by Jekyll »

Just some notes from my garage................

In the small engine world (chain saws,trimmers,blowers) Tygon is the answer!

Myself, I have had terrible luck using the 1/4" dia size on snowmobiles. Before I say anything else...there MAY be more than one version (with diffrent wall thickness), but Ive found it to be two soft/flexable and did have issues where it would pinch itself off in tight areas. Clamping is a MUST, but be careful not to overtighten as it's easy to puncture the tubing if using a worm clamp (seems like you cant clamp the same area multiple times).

Never tried using it in the fuel tank(s).

As Paul said, it's great for tank vents, carb vent lines and oil injection lines.

I use the blue line from DK/Parts Unlimited. Anymore it just seems "OK" as none of it seems to last more than 2 seasons without causing a series of leaks.

Using a small wire on the in-tank fuel barb is almost manditory anymore as it seems the the fuel line can grow enough to slip off (inside the tank) with the OEM squeeze type clamp still attached.

Just my thoughts,
Roger