295/s

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Matt

Re: 295/s

Post by Matt »

78LF wrote:In my first post I asked what would be a fair price for a 295/s, now I guess I should ask what would be a fair price for this 295/s? If the suspension was a kit, is there a way to tell what suspension the sled left the factory with?
You are not going to get a good answer on value because this is not something that comes up for sale every day. Put it on ebay, take offers privately, or just pick a number you would be happy with and go from there.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
400brian

Post by 400brian »

JD600 wrote:My guess would be that it came factory with the slide skid because if it had been equipped with bogies, it would have the extra extrusion under the running boards to hold the bogie axles and springs.

Dustin, good point. That got me to thinking...if the three suspensions were interchangeable on the 295/S, then what you are suggesting would make that impossible with the '74 bogie design. A quick look in JDParts.com, appears to show that the 295/S bogie set up was the earlier '72-'73 set up, with the shafts that clamp under the boards.

Looking at the photo of this 295/S, does the paint looked marred under each pair of holes through the boards? That might indicate that the bogie axles had been installed there at one time.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

400brian wrote:
JD600 wrote:My guess would be that it came factory with the slide skid because if it had been equipped with bogies, it would have the extra extrusion under the running boards to hold the bogie axles and springs.

Dustin, good point. That got me to thinking...if the three suspensions were interchangeable on the 295/S, then what you are suggesting would make that impossible with the '74 bogie design. A quick look in JDParts.com, appears to show that the 295/S bogie set up was the earlier '72-'73 set up, with the shafts that clamp under the boards.

Looking at the photo of this 295/S, does the paint looked marred under each pair of holes through the boards? That might indicate that the bogie axles had been installed there at one time.
Brian, you do raise a good point. There does appear to be some sort of scuffing around each of the holes. It would make sense that when they put the optional suspension in that they took the bogie hangers off as they served no purpose anymore. I could see when the owner started unbolting the bogie setup that they kept on going and removed it all.
Scott Kyle,
Liquifire: 77 (440) (2), 600: 73,74,75
Massey Whirlwind: 76 440 (2)
Mercury Hurricane 644: 72,73
OMC Snowcruiser: 66,68,70
Rupp: 70 34 Sprint
Allouettte Super Brute: 74 (5)
OTC Deere sled dyno
400brian

Post by 400brian »

It would also make sense that if you intended to buy and run the bogie/slide suspension, you would order the sled with the bogie suspension, that way you would already have the correct track.

Who knows if it actually happened that way though.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
JD600

Post by JD600 »

400brian wrote:

Good catch Brian. I never gave it a thought to look it up in the parts book, i just assumed it would have been equipped with the standard '74 setup, but using the older setup makes more sense from an interchangability standpoint. I have come to like the '72-'73 setup much better than the setup under my '75's anyway....

I learned something today. Very cool.

DE
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

I should have in my other post that not only did the 295/s have optional suspensions, but all the tunnels were punched for slides or the 72-73 style bogie set up. If you have the slide set up, there is a row of unused square holes down the running board for the carriage head bolts use on the earlier set up. The opposite is true of course if you have a bogie set up. But, I have also seen slide rail sleds converted to bogies after the cleated track failed.

If you have a bogie slide set up, you should be able to inspect for wear around the bogie mounts to see if it was a slide or bogie sled.

Jesse,

Thanks for posting about the Winter Carnival info on the suspension breakdowns. If they only build 50 kits, that makes a bogie-slide a pretty nice find.

78LF,

Value is always a tricky question, but a bogie-slide is a desirable piece to a collector. It's worth far more than a regular slide set up for sure. Matt's suggestion of Ebay is a good way to maximize your return, or talk to the other collectors that know 295/s' like Jesse or Jim Tradup and such.

-Joe
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
78LF

Post by 78LF »

Please PM me with any opinions as to the value of this sled and or suspension.