78 Liquifire 440 clutch issues

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kioritz/CCW & Kohler motors.
farmboy76

78 Liquifire 440 clutch issues

Post by farmboy76 »

I've got a 78 440 Liquifire with a Comet 94c clutch. We got just enough snow in central Indiana for me to get it out.
Here's the problem:
When I hit the gas, the factory secondary opens up too much, allowing the 94c to close down too much. The pucks on the 94c get stuck, and won't release. Then, it clamps onto the belt too much, bogs down, and dies.
I didn't have this problem last year until I replaced the pucks in the secondary. It seems like the secondary opens too easily now.
The 94c has the orange spring and 6 of the 9 slots have black pucks. They look like new. I know this thing didn't see 20 miles after getting that new comet years ago.
I'm wondering if I need a new belt, pucks, springs. These things are above my pay grade. I'm used to atc's.
Suggestions?
1978 Liquifire 440

"You bought a WHAT? It NEVER snows here!" - my wife
"Let's see...shirt, sweatshirt, bibs, thermal sweatshirt, coat...I'm nearly naked!" Me, during the 2012 "Blizzard"
Matt

Re: 78 Liquifire 440 clutch issues

Post by Matt »

First, the 94c isn't the correct clutch. It should have a 102C. Max rated HP for the 94 is only 40, so you're risking a clutch failure (which can be dangerous if pieces go flying).

You can change the spring position on the secondary to adjust when it opens. Maybe you did not put it back in the right spot after you put the new pucks in?
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
farmboy76

Post by farmboy76 »

Well, that would make sense. I bought this sled from a relative who is a bit of a dim bulb when it comes to mechanical issues.
With regard to the secondary, before I disassembled it, I marked the hole for the spring so I wouldn't goof up.
Maybe I should look for a 102c, then.
1978 Liquifire 440

"You bought a WHAT? It NEVER snows here!" - my wife
"Let's see...shirt, sweatshirt, bibs, thermal sweatshirt, coat...I'm nearly naked!" Me, during the 2012 "Blizzard"
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

By all means you should put a 102 on it. Perhaps we can help as we're located in Churubusco, IN. For more information you can email me at bison1112002XXX@yahoo.com (remove the X's).

Don Amber (DA)
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.