Need some help with an 81 Spitfire

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
NorthofSixty

Need some help with an 81 Spitfire

Post by NorthofSixty »

I am reassembling the track drive assembly for an 81 Spitfire. It had been bastardized with a home made drive shaft with the brake disk welded on and the motor base plate mounting holes cut out to allow the clutches to be aligned. I have everything back to stock including a new base plate for the motor but I am finding that I have to use over an inch of shims behind the secondary to align the clutches. The secondary holding bolt is not long enough to get more than a couple of threads. I may have a little room to shift the engine on the base plate but not nearly enough to give me what I need for the secondary bolt.

I checked the drive axle for centering and have equal clearance from the tunnel to the track drives on each side so it looks like it is positioned correctly.

The drive shaft bearing retainers are mounted on the inside of the tunnel on the secondary end of the shaft side and on the outside of the tunnel on the disk brake end.

If any has any advice on where I might be going wrong reassembling the drive shaft and secondary it would be appreciated.
427cobra

Re: Need some help with an 81 Spitfire

Post by 427cobra »

Id start with a few pictures...

I have a Spitfire I can get picture for you or measurements.
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
NorthofSixty

Re: Need some help with an 81 Spitfire

Post by NorthofSixty »

Thanks,

I will post a few pics. The secondary bolt was 5-1/4" Iong so in the meantime I just replaced the secondary bolt with one that was 5 1/2" . It may be that with the home made shaft the secondary bolt had been replaced with a shorter one. It works for now and the clutches align but I would like to know I have it back together correctly.