Kids first sleds?????????

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
JASONT

Kids first sleds?????????

Post by JASONT »

Now that the 80 sportfire is up and running, I feel that it's too much sled for the boy. He's seven. I think it's time to start looking for another cheap project for him to ride. Do any of you have youngsters on sleds? What do you reccomend and why? Is a spitfire the way to go for the lighter weight and little less power? Opinions and experiences appreciated!! Thanks!
J
DeereKid9

Re: Kids first sleds?????????

Post by DeereKid9 »

My grandson, 8, has ridden a 120 for the last few years and has kind of accomplished some good and safe riding skills. This year he will continue, if we ever get good snow, to ride the same. I have purchased a 340 Trailfire that will most likely be his rider for a number of years to come. I cut my teeth on a Spitfire, but I like the stability of the wider sleds.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Always remember-Any parts leftover is money in your pocket.
1976 Liquidator - I 500 raced by Jim Zimmer
1980 Spitfire
1982 Liquifire-Last sled my son helped me work on. He did most of the motor work.
1984 Trailfire
2007 Ski Doo GSX 500SS
JASONT

Post by JASONT »

We had a 72 Ski Doo Nordic when I was a kid. Electric start. It was a freaking tank, could barely turn it around by myself. I remember burying it in a drift about a quarter mile away from the house one night when I was maybe 10. Ran the whole way home in the dark crying my eyes out, dad was unimpressed....Probably built character, I dunno, but thirty years later, I still remember that night. :shock:
a572mike

Post by a572mike »

As much as I like John Deeres, if I had a kid of that age range, I'd be on the hunt for a Polaris Indy Lite 340. They're not super heavy, direct drive like a Spit/Snow/Sprint, and they have IFS...

I started out on a 1968 Ski Doo Super Olympique when I was 8. My Dad added a shiny four year old 1980 Liquifire to the fleet when I was 10, and I used to ride that around a lot... :sled: It was scary fast! I got lots of lectures from Dad on taking it easy and being careful... :naughty:
Current:
1983 Liquifire
2012 Ski Doo Summit SP 146 800R E-TEC

Past:
2003 Ski Doo MXZ Renegade 600 HO
1983 Trailfire LX
1991 Polaris Indy 500 SKS
1982 Trailfire LX
1978 Arctic Cat el Tigre 5000
mfd1221

Post by mfd1221 »

I acquired a cherry sprintfire for my little guy to ride when he's old enough. May find a 120 till that time as he is only 3. I still like riding him around on "his" Deere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cledussnow77

Post by cledussnow77 »

Here was my first sled
Attachments
image.jpg
Nothing Runs Like A Deere
cledussnow77

Post by cledussnow77 »

My daughter on her first sled.
Attachments
image.jpg
Nothing Runs Like A Deere
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

DeereKid9 wrote:My grandson, 8, has ridden a 120 for the last few years and has kind of accomplished some good and safe riding skills. This year he will continue, if we ever get good snow, to ride the same. I have purchased a 340 Trailfire that will most likely be his rider for a number of years to come. I cut my teeth on a Spitfire, but I like the stability of the wider sleds.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Bob might only remember the Spitfire as his first sled but his real first sled was a Kitty Kat painted John Deere colors.

DAd
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JDT

Post by JDT »

The Sprintfire would be a good choice in my opinion.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
monte44

Post by monte44 »

The yamaha enticer is a GREAT first sled. Super super reliable and easy to start. Very light also.
Sprailfire340

Post by Sprailfire340 »

Spitfires are great sleds...we have 3 of them in the family, but lb for lb the Yamaha Sno Scoot is the best kids sled ever built. Light, easy to maintain, high on fun factor and a highly underrated kick start (some equipped with electric start too). It's my 7 yr olds sled now, but my 10 yr old still prefers it over bigger sleds. They only made them for a few years (88, 89, 90, 91?) and they are not cheap. Nice one in MN is going for 1500-2000. That being said I was offered more money this year than I paid for it 5 yrs ago. And my kids keep riding it every year. Not many toys hold their value like that.
scoot pics
:sled: ME
DeereKid9

Post by DeereKid9 »

Mitch, if offering you way more money was offending, I would be more than glad to offer you way less. Bob
1980 Spitfire
1982 Liquifire-Last sled my son helped me work on. He did most of the motor work.
1984 Trailfire
2007 Ski Doo GSX 500SS
Sprailfire340

Post by Sprailfire340 »

I wasn't offended in the least. In fact, I suggested maybe it was time to move it. My kids were outraged more importantly my wife said that was a stupid idea. Not the first time I've heard that, which is why I suggest executing deals first and ask permission later. This just reinforced the inefficiencies of asking first.
:sled: ME
DeereKid9

Post by DeereKid9 »

:)
1980 Spitfire
1984 Trailfire
2007 Ski Doo GSX 500SS
kwc

Post by kwc »

This is the third winter for my daughter riding a Spitfire, what a great sled for the kids. The first season I limited the throttle movement to about half with a hose clamp on handle grip.

Kevin Campbell
Vicksburg, Michigan