What do you guys know about this trailer?

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
liquifireguy

What do you guys know about this trailer?

Post by liquifireguy »

I pulled home this nice load this evening. :lol22: I think that they are both 77's-- a 340 and a 440, along with the trailer. Both of the sleds are parts sleds and I had to take them to get the trailer. It is a John Deere trailer and still has remnants of John Deere decals. It is a fixer upper, but is definitely restorable. Any idea when it was made? It looks like it must be for 2 midmounts or just a single place sled for the later ones, as the 2 Liquifires are too wide. I was wondering what you guys can tell me about it. Are parts still available, as I assume that another company made it for Deere? Just how uncommon is it and do any of you guys have one, restored or original that I could see some pics of? If I can find the parts and decals that I need, it will probably be a summer project. Thanks Jeff
trailer1.jpg
trailer 2.jpg
trailer4.jpg
pkehrer

Re: What do you guys know about this trailer?

Post by pkehrer »

I have no idea how many were made but I believe there were two different sizes one for the earlier mid mounts and one for newer models with the wider ski stance. I don't know how many are left or if there is any demand for them. I think they would work great for summer vintage shows but I wouldn't want to use them in the winter with all the road salt. If you want to pm your phone # I can send you some pics. of mine it is original and good shape it has wider tires and is for the later models.
81 sportfire
83' liquifire x2
81'liquifire
80 sportfire
81& 83 Trailfire 440
skoalmint

Post by skoalmint »

Paul nice find there ! You are correct they did make two widths in this trailer. There has been some discussion on these before. Someone will chime in i am sure . Sleds look like they have lived a rough life :sick: , but look like they have two good tracks ,near as i can tell by the pics. At least you saved them :beers; . Brock
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

I think I have the same trailer. It's pretty small, as I hauled two Cyclones on it, and they were a tight fit. However twoc Sprintfire's fit pretty good. I think it's a 1973 vintage trailer. Hubs and such are easy to find, but original lights are a pain, as I am still looking for a rear taillight housing for mine.

Funny, the darn near the EXACT same deck screw is available at Lowes to hold on the plywood. I was quite surprised by that when I re-decked mine last year.

I hope this helps!
-Joe Rainville
Last edited by JoeRainville on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

While I'm not positive, I'm thinking Snowco build these. They were a short line company that built bale elevators, augers, trailers and the like, up into at least the '80s in would seem.

For sled hauling, the steel construction is the fatal issue.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
liquifireguy

Post by liquifireguy »

Thanks for all of the input. I have thought for a while that it would be neat to find a Deere trailer for a display item and to use as mobile storage. It definitely won't see use in the winter, as I know all too well that steel trailers and salt don't mix-- my steel trailer in the late 80's only lasted about 5 years and it was junk. Salt got inside the tubes and there was nothing to do. I read somewhere that the tail lights are the same as the 1972 snowmobiles, but don't know if that is the case with this trailer. If anyone is looking for a Liquifire for parts, pm me and we could work something out, as I really don't need 2 more sleds and don't want to get into parting them out. Thanks, Jeff
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Hello Jeff,

None of the JD trailers I have seen use the 72 sled style tail light. The 73-84 sled tailight was used on larger commercial mowers and articulated tractors. It just went out of production last year after 40 years in production.

I plan to pull the deck back off my trailer for sandblasting and painting this year. Mine could use to be re-wired too...

-Joe
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.