Clutch Puller for '81 Trailfire 340

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Trailfireball

Clutch Puller for '81 Trailfire 340

Post by Trailfireball »

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm making this post because I'm not sure which clutch puller I need for my snowmobile. Don't be too hard on me if I get anything wrong, I still have a lot to learn. Before I bought my Trailfire, I hadn't worked on much of anything, even my car. My brother, on the other hand, works on John Deere garden tractors all the time and he has a '76 Liquifire, so he helps me out sometimes. Anyways...

I bought my Trailfire last Winter for $225. It wasn't (and still isn't) very pretty on the outside, but it runs. In the past few weeks, I've replaced the brake pads, wear bars, and slides. I want to replace all of the gaskets in the engine and I need to fix the recoil starter, so I need to get the clutch off in order to lift the engine out. The thing is, the snowmobile has an Artic Cat engine in it. A 340, I believe. So, I don't know whether it has the comet clutch that it's supposed to have or if the clutch was replaced along with the engine. Can anyone tell me from these pictures what type of clutch is in my Trailfire or just tell me more about the Artic Cat engine?

A link to a clutch puller on Dennis Kirk or another site would be perfect.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
12283165_459207610950684_1657603959_n.jpg
Attachments
12272549_459207684284010_232821850_n.jpg
12285892_459207660950679_24247728_n.jpg
12285670_459207647617347_1563979267_n.jpg
Matt

Re: Clutch Puller for '81 Trailfire 340

Post by Matt »

That's a Comet 102c, which may have been the original one from the Deere. Yes that's a Cat engine, but it's still correct, as the Trailfire used the same engine. Here's the clutch puller:

http://www.newbreedparts.com/newbreed/i ... uct_id=370
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
sledhead16

Post by sledhead16 »

Does the clutch have the deere faceplate? Also an issue with the cat motor is the shroud hanging over the belt to far and catching the belt. I have seen cat 102c clutches that require a different puller than a deere puller. The sled is rough but if it's an 81 340 only 500 were built and they're desirable. Get us a Vin picture. U have a cat carb. U need an air box as well. The clutches need cleaning and aligning. I would just get a deere 340 fan motor from an out east member if I were you. Members here are very helpful. Whatever you do, if it is an 81 trailfire 340 don't junk it
1975 340/s Speed Run Sled
1975 340/s I500 #161
1980 Liquifire SN# 4995 From WA Speed Run Sled
1980 Liquifire SN# 4996 From MN
1983 Sportfire
1984 Liquifire Deep Snow Tunnel 4/6 motor
1984 Sprintfire (2)

***Duelling Deere Garage***
JDT

Post by JDT »

It appears you are missing the secondary clutch slides. Continued running of the sled like this will ruin the helix.

You have a broken exhaust joint on the muffler. Running it like this will make a mess under the hood and it will be very loud.

You are missing some hardware on the engine shrouding. If you do not replace the bolts the vibrations will crack the tin and in the meantime it will be annoying.

It appears that something has been rubbing on the jack shaft. Maybe a fuel line? This can cause a fire or leave you sitting out in the boonies.

Are you aware that the Cat engine is 10 years older than the Deere chassis? The correct engine would offer significant performance improvements.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Trailfireball

Post by Trailfireball »

Sorry for the late reply. I had a look at the vin number, the snowmobile is an '80 and not an '81 like the guy I bought it from told me it was. Still definitely not junking the sled. As far as the clutch, should the deere logo be clearly visible on the faceplate? I don't see any sort of john deere logo, but I don't see an artic cat one either. Is there any way to really tell whether its a 102c from a deere or a 102c from an artic cat? I just want to know before I order the clutch puller Matt gave me the link to

I'll work on finding an air box for the carb once I've replaced the gaskets and fixed the recoil starter. I'll also work on getting new secondary clutch slides and an exhaust joint and I'll find out what's been rubbing against the jack shaft once I put the engine back in. I have the bolts that hold the shrouding on, I just took them off. I figured the artic cat engine was quite a bit older than the snowmobile itself, but I don't have the money at the moment to buy a decent Kawasaki fireburst. Right now, I just want the sled to be rideable for winter

Thanks a lot for the advice, guys
pkehrer

Post by pkehrer »

You can remove the retaining bolt off your primary and get a bolt that will thread in the housing the same as the clutch puller would I think it's 7/8 fine thread not 100 percent sure (I'm at work). Fill the housing with grease use Teflon tape on your 7/8 bolt and thread it in by hand remove and repack with grease then use impact wrench and it should pop off. A little messy but not too bad if your only going to use a clutch puller a few times it's a cheap alternative.
81 sportfire
83' liquifire x2
81'liquifire
80 sportfire
81& 83 Trailfire 440
Matt

Post by Matt »

The clutch puller will work either way, doesn't matter what the clutch is branded as, it's still a Comet. I have the secondary clutch buttons in the store too.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator