Just an Idea

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
jjtt

Just an Idea

Post by jjtt »

Tossing around an idea of making a portable gas tank to start and tune without having to put gas in the sleds tank. Thinking about getting a 1 gallon gas can and putting a tank fitting in the side then add a shutoff and fuel line. I could then attach to carb and start engine. When done, just shutoff gas and remove line. Has anybody done anything similar, if so how did it work?
monte44

Re: Just an Idea

Post by monte44 »

Yes. I think someone one the site has made something similar. Look in the tips and tricks section? I use a motion pro hanging bottle (it just hangs off the handle bars with a long hose and a shut off valve) that is very similar to what you describe and it works great also.
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

Yep, that will work fine. Have seen them used at dealer service shops, especially when priming a repaired oil injection system.
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

Yes I do this all the time. I use a 1 gal fuel container which fits nice on the floor board. Drop one end of the fuel line into the container (with a screen pick-up) the other end goes to the fuel pump. I usually stuff a shop towel around the line going into the tank to help keep things in place.

The container I use is actually for my weedwacker, snowblower, chainsaw, etc... They all use the same mix. So no need to use a special container for me.

This eliminates the need to fill up the fuel tank on the sled.
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
nick80lf

Post by nick80lf »

uploadfromtaptalk1453242208428.jpg
Like this?

I didn't put a check valve style pickup inside the tank. I use the mityvac to put a little pressure on the tank to pre fill the carbs.......I hate pulling my guts out. I can also flip the mityvac to vacuum and suck the last bit of fuel out of the tank when summerizing the sleds

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Last edited by nick80lf on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
PolCat

Post by PolCat »

427cobra wrote:Yes I do this all the time. I use a 1 gal fuel container which fits nice on the floor board. Drop one end of the fuel line into the container (with a screen pick-up) the other end goes to the fuel pump. I usually stuff a shop towel around the line going into the tank to help keep things in place.

The container I use is actually for my weedwacker, snowblower, chainsaw, etc... They all use the same mix. So no need to use a special container for me.

This eliminates the need to fill up the fuel tank on the sled.
Yup just grab the weed eater can and stick the pick up line into the filler hole. Use a squeeze bulb to pump the gas to the carb.
Sometimes I just use a 16 oz pop bottle. Hole in the cap to push the fuel line into.
"There's No Iron Like Old Iron"
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

We just use a gallon plastic container and stick the fuel line in. Nothing magical and it saves from putting gas in the tank until you're ready.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.