Pondering selling 3 jd sleds

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Dsrafting

Pondering selling 3 jd sleds

Post by Dsrafting »

Hello to all! I have three John Deere snowmobiles all three of them stopped running on me this winter, will start for a second and then they die after that there's no spark. I'm trying to decide what to do about them because I really don't have room for this many snowmobiles anymore I have tons of extra parts including seats windshields tracks skis rails belts chain gaskets fan belts on and on. Am hoping to possibly find somebody to trade for a newer more dependable powder sled for the whole package or possibly sell. I was more or less seeing if there is any interest on them. 1979 440 trailfire 500 miles on rebuild, 1982 liquid fire 440 3300 miles never rebuilt. 1984 440 trailfire lx with hand warmers. This one is a really clean machine 500 on rebuild. Any suggestions cuz I really don't want to part with them but I have a 5 yr old and I need two dependable machines. Thanks for your suggestions.
Matt

Re: Pondering selling 3 jd sleds

Post by Matt »

The truth is you need to put some effort into these machines if you want them to be reliable at this age. 100% rebuilds, then usually some more tweaking after that. If you're looking for something you can jump on and ride, then you would be better off with something newer.

As for your problem, it's probably fuel related since it's all 3 giving you issues. Bad gas, gummed up carbs, etc.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Dsrafting

Post by Dsrafting »

Thanks for the reply. They are pretty fresh rebuilds but the other issue is I live where snow is deep. These don't do well in 3 to 15 ft. Of snow. As for the gas issues I am not getting spark in any of them. Pretty crazy how they all dropped off in a few months.
Matt

Post by Matt »

All 3 loosing spark seems pretty unlikely, unless you've got some kind of major moisture/corrosion issue. And no, they are certainly not powder sleds.
sledhead16

Post by sledhead16 »

Someone would trade you for sure, you'd just have better luck if you could get them to the midwest
1975 340/s Speed Run Sled
1975 340/s I500 #161
1980 Liquifire SN# 4995 From WA Speed Run Sled
1980 Liquifire SN# 4996 From MN
1983 Sportfire
1984 Liquifire Deep Snow Tunnel 4/6 motor
1984 Sprintfire (2)

***Duelling Deere Garage***
snowfire1

Post by snowfire1 »

What are you looking to get out of them?
Dsrafting

Post by Dsrafting »

Have not given price much thought yet to be honest. Was really wanting to get a newer powder sled like from this millenia. Lol I have enjoyed them and I have tons of parts for them. Unless I do trail riding and ice fishing is about there limit up here. I will consider offers though and can send pics
Dsrafting

Post by Dsrafting »

And as far as getting them to the midwest I would consider a halfway meeting point. I really would like to know they are taken care of and used. They are sweet vintage sleds.