Rest in Peace Jon Carlson

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Matt

Rest in Peace Jon Carlson

Post by Matt »

Sad news this week, we learned that Jon Carlson has passed away after a fight with Cancer. Jon was the son of John Deere VP and the driving force behind the snowmobile program, Robert Carlson. As a young man, Jon raced snowmobiles with the John Deere factory team, and went on to have a career in the powersports industry. More recently, he was very involved in the vintage snowmobile hobby, serving on the board for the Snowmobile Hall of Fame, and participating in events like the Ride with the Champs.

Here is a write-up from the Snowmobile Hall of Fame web site (www.snowmobilehalloffame.com):
The Snowmobile Hall of Fame, the Board of Directors, and supporters everywhere were sad to learn that long time support of the Hall of Fame and former board member, Jon Carlson has passed away.

Jon was a founding member of the famous Enduro Team Deere from 76-77 after being a factory supported racer.

Career highlights include a 3rd in the Winnipeg to St. Paul I-500 in 1975, and a 4th in 1978.

Jon also pulled a 14th in 1977 on a stock 340 Liquifire against sleds with 50% more hp.

A decade back he served as Vice President for the Snowmobile Hall of Fame in St. Germain, Wisconsin and even raced in the first vintage I-500 class in 2011.

Jon had a very colorful professional career at Deere, Case-IH, Arctic Cat and others. His charisma and presence will be missed.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Matt

Re: Rest in Piece Jon Carlson

Post by Matt »

I was going through the pictures on my computer hoping to find a good one of Jon, I couldn't really find one, but I did find this picture, which made me smile. This is from the 2009 Ride with the Champs. At the head of the table there is JD racer Brian Nelson, and Jon is sitting to the left talking to Brian. Everyone else in that photo are members here on this forum. Jon was so happy to hang out with us, talk, and share stories. He was a fantastic storyteller.
Attachments
2009HOF_039.jpg
Matt

Re: Rest in Peace Jon Carlson

Post by Matt »

If anyone else has photos, I think it would be great to share them.
JDGuy

Post by JDGuy »

IMG_6951.jpg
Carlson.jpg
201702072043100.jpg
75 Winnepeg Carlson.jpg
_75_jrc (Large).jpg
JDGuy

Post by JDGuy »

Jon Carlson.JPG
BU1

Post by BU1 »

May your trails all be smooth now, Jon. Your presence will surely be missed at the RWTC. Thank you for all you did to grow the HOF into what it is today, for all of us to enjoy.

Scott
730 Diesel
4020 Diesel
6500 Blizzard
6x Vintage Challenge Survivor 1x DNF
400brian

Post by 400brian »

I have been trying to pull my thoughts together after hearing of the passing of Jon Carlson. First, I knew this was coming. When I attended the Roundup in St Germain back in May, Tom Otte had quietly shared the news that Jon had been diagnosed with what was almost certainly terminal cancer. More recently we heard that Jon was receiving treatment in Texas. I was trying to keep a positive attitude about Jon’s prospects, but after seeing family members go down this road, a person has to acknowledge the realities of the situation.

I was really hoping that Jon could make it to the Elk River Show in January. I was hoping the treatment could get him at least to January in good enough health to attend and take that event and the Ride with the Champs in February as a victory lap. Sadly fate did not give him that one last hurrah. Perhaps it would have meant more to us than him to have that Hollywood ending, but Jon did seem to very much enjoy the company of his racing teammates and competitors.

I first met Jon in 2007, at the meet and greet the evening before the Ride with the Champs, and the induction of his Father Robert Carlson. Jon had started posting here on the JD page in the fall of 2006, perhaps in some measure to promote attendance of his Father’s induction in February. Jon seemed to be a natural born PR man, somewhat imposing in stature and demeanor, but he also had the power of persuasion, and a number of us did travel up to St Germain for the induction.

I feel it would be presumptuous of me to say I was Jon’s friend. It was obvious that his old teammates held that distinction, and I was not part of that circle. That said, Jon always treated me as a friend, a big bear hug was the typical greeting.

Jon seemed a bit larger than life to many of us. I was a bit star struck in his presence for the first few years, but eventually I came to see him as a mortal human and that faded. Jon was a salesman, and on occasion his enthusiasm could get ahead of the reality on the ground. We came to take that as just part of the package, and took it in stride.

Jon Carlson and I did not run in the same circles. In our normal lives our paths would have never crossed, but because of a shared interest in snowmobiling they did cross and I am grateful for that.

Looking back to 2007, meeting Jon Carlson made my life more interesting. That was the start of many friendships that have formed over the years, and lots of fun times. Jon convinced us to start the Vintage Challenge Ride up to Lake Gogebic, and that was Jon in a nutshell: go big or stay home!

I imagine that when we get together this winter a glass will be raised in Jon’s honor. Until then, Godspeed Jon, and thank you!
Attachments
First Vintage Challenge, Jon as blown a clutch.
First Vintage Challenge, Jon as blown a clutch.
2008 RWTC
2008 RWTC

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Scrolling through some old posts, I found this photo taken in 2008 I believe. Joe Rainville photo.
Attachments
JRCETD.jpg

'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
Norton

Post by Norton »

Matt, thank you for the opportunity to share a memory and photo of Jon. I knew who Jon was back in the race days, but as Brian L. put it so well, we did not run in the same circle. Was standing at the finish line when Jon, Roger, and the others crossed with their 340/S's in St. Paul for the I-500 in 1975.

Was also standing next to him at the Year of the Deere show in Waconia, MN about 10 years back. Folks at this one table were going over old "Performance Evaluations" in a 3 ring binder for ETD members. Coach Anderson had made a note in Jon's evaluation that he was quote "geometrically challenged to ride snowmobile". Jon instantly said, "I remember that! And it pissed me off then and it still pisses me off". For me, that summed up this man's life long competitive spirit!

In the attached photo taken in Bemidji, MN morning after a USXC I-500 are left to right, Brian Nelson (who we all know), Jon Carlson (a head taller that the rest of us), Dave Nehring (of Regina to Minot I-250 fame), Glen Wasmuth (of ETD Canada) and myself. All cross country racers back in the mid 70's posing for the camera.

Thanks for the memories Jon!

keith
Attachments
IMG_1855.jpg
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Thanks for sharing that Keith. I had not heard that story, but Jon's reaction to it sounds absolutely spot on!

I have often made the observation that the top tier of racers seemed to to share a common trait, they were shorter and lighter than Jon, he didn't fit the mold. Brian Nelson was built like a jockey compared to Jon. Grumpy Heinz has said that Nelson would fly by skipping on top of the drifts, while he would be wallowing through them. BTW, apparently this really rubbed Grumpy the wrong way!

Jon's commitment to snowmobiling never seemed to waver much, and there was no bigger supporter of the JD sled community.

Great photo!

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress