Sportfire

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
jdjock

Sportfire

Post by jdjock »

Is there a better late model JD snowmobile than a sportfire. I have 3 and I just love them. Mostly trouble free and run forever. 80 model, 82 model, and 84 with electric start.
ihengineer76

Re: Sportfire

Post by ihengineer76 »

I definitely agree that the Sportys are a fun sled. I’ve owned several of them. With proper maintenance and tuning, they all can be relatively trouble free for a 40 year old two stroke. I’ve found the biggest causes of issues people run into are lack of maintenance and impatience.
1976 Liquidator - 970 mile raced sled
1975 340/S - I-500 raced sled
1978 440 Liquifire
snowmoer

Post by snowmoer »

An 80 Sportfire was my first sled when I was in High School. It was a leftover in 81. My dad was going to pay the down payment for my Christmas and Birthday present. I would pay the rest of it off over the summer. I wanted a Liquifire. He wanted me to get a Trailfire. The Sportfire was the middle of the two. I put over 4 thousand miles on that sled. It was just a fun sled. It did go through drive line bearings. Had to replace both the driveshaft and jackshaft due to bearing failures. I also had to replace the track due to the outer belt ripping. In those 4K miles, I only had to replace the crank seals once. Lots of fun rides on that sled.

I picked up an 84 last year with two 84 Trailfires. They will be fun restoration projects.
Dan
1981 Liquifire
1984 Sportfire
1984 Trailfire LX
1996 Yamaha V Max Mountain Max
2018 Ski Doo Summit Sport
2021 Ski Doo Grand Touring Sport
jdsledhead

Post by jdsledhead »

In my opinion, the Sportfire is the best late model Deere for a reliable performance trail sled. It has the rubber track, better skid, good power from the low maintenance fan engine and only 1 carb to mess with. Many might argue the Liquifire is the best, but they're finicky on a good day and need a lot of tuning to get them how you like it - clutching and carb tuning. I'm on the lookout for an 84 Sportfire on the east coast for sale.
Tim Kudla

73 JDX4
80 Spitfire
82 Trailfire 340
84 Trailfire 440
10 SnoPro 500