80 Liquifire Track Installation Into Trailfire

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Deere Me

Post by Deere Me »

Today I just installed an 80 Liquifire track into my 82 Trailfire 340 as the old cleated track had one of the outside rubber bands ripped. I used the front drive axle from the Liquifire and it bolted right in as noted under the FAQ section from Joe Rainville. Now I am ready to reinstall the suspension into the Trailfire, 1st I will need to renew the bearings and bushings, probably new springs will also be installed. My question is will I need to make any modifications to the swing arm as noted in the FAQ section, or will I be able to just bolt the Suspension back in and the tension on the track will be correct?? Thanks, Richard.
cyclone crazy

Post by cyclone crazy »

You said you installed the Liquifire drivers and you have a Liquifire Track - do you have any of the Liquifire suspension parts to work with or just the original Trailfire suspension?
Rodimus Prime

Post by Rodimus Prime »

if you have only the original trailfire suspension pieces two things the front swing arm is longer than the liquifire and the rear wheels are a 1/2 diameter too small for a rubber track.
Deere Me

Post by Deere Me »

No, I do not have any of the Liquifire suspension parts as they were needed when I restored my 80 Liquifire. Do I need to find a Liquifire suspension? Ed Poets probably has one locally.
cyclone crazy

Post by cyclone crazy »

There are some Liquifire suspension parts need and others that if you have access to them are an improvement, but not needed. If Ed is Local he will be very familiar with your swap and he will know what you will need.
Deere Me

Post by Deere Me »

Thanks for the info guys, I will let you know how I make out.
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Deere Me,

I have done several of these swaps, (or suckered Kudla into doing one for NOS parts, LOL!). You can run your stock Trailfire suspension as it is. Although Rodmiss and I do not agree on this, the Liquifire, Sportfire and Trailfire all use the same rear wheel, AM54748, at 6.375 inches in diameter. The 82-84 Sport and the 80-84 Liquifire use 4 of them, 2 at the rear axle, 2 at the center of the rail, while the Trail and 80-81 Sport use 2 at the rear axle only. The 82 340 Trailfire Canada special uses the AM54748 at the rear axle, but a smaller diameter idler at the center of the rail, simular to the LF suspension. I do think the rear bracket is different on the rails from the LF / late Sports vs. the Trailfire and early Sports. They may account for the difference of the slider riding on cleats vs. rubber track clips.

For your rubber track conversion the best choice is the use a Liquifire suspension, but with the Trailfire rear arm and shock. This was basically the set up used on the 82-84 Sportfire's.

Good Luck,
-Joe Rainville
"Tech-Ed"

B)
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Deere Me

Post by Deere Me »

Thanks Joe, this may be a Canada Special 340, as you may know I am in Canada. How can you tell if its a Canada Special Trailfire? I plan on reinstalling the Trailfire Suspension and see if it works. If it does work,I will again remove it and and redo the whole suspension. If not I will look for a used Liquifire suspension. Thanks Richard
Rodimus Prime

Post by Rodimus Prime »

the canadian special has a stamp on tunnel in serial number, the 340 engine is better ported has electric start. the rear suspension uses the liquifire style idlers and side wheels.it also has a black belly pan in front hood im not sure of. i have one but it has a replacement hood from a liquifire.

joe is correct that the rear wheel numbers are the same but the rear wheels on say a liquifire are flat to bottom of sliders where as a trailfire has them 1/4 in above the sliders.. if you dont put on bigger rear wheels you will eat up the sliders rather quickly and may ruin the rails.