1st Proto liquifire

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
WinnipegStPaul9

1st Proto liquifire

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

I sent a picture of Chuck's engine to Ed. You have to read his reply, it's great!

"Thanks Don, no problem. Talked to Mark the other night and he said he thinks he has no pics of the race. We built the two sleds and knowbody was around to drive them. We were gone on a test trip. So they asked mark and Sam greshay to drive them. as you can see in both pics one was a heat exchanger model and the other one was radiator. your eng does not have the reservoir mounted on eng as does the one in my photo. Mark said 10 miles out a liq line came off and he lost alot of fluid and was overheating. a by stander offered to empty his coffie jug into the raidiator and he finished the race full of coffie! you may post this info on the site. ED"
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JRC ETD

1st Proto liquifire

Post by JRC ETD »

The 340/s in the back ground of the picture is yours truly, I entered the mod class at Park Rapids that day with a stock 340/s and won. The picture of the trophy and the sled in the back of my truck was taken by CJ and put on Sno-Pod last year, it had the ski's off. I remember the proto-water cooled well, and felt that little engine in a light 340/s improved chassis would be killer for the next season!! Opps she got real heavy over summer! Best JRC
ICCSF 108

1st Proto liquifire

Post by ICCSF 108 »

you know over the years that seems to happen to things & people!

:o

:o

:o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy Easter

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
I500

1st Proto liquifire

Post by I500 »

Don... What your telling me is that it runs better on coffee. Maybe a little expresso for that added kick... Was wondering what the heck that flat spot on the motor was for. Any idea on how that resevoir was mounted or what it even looked like. I actually thought it was a mounting surface for the CDI.

Any chance you can post a pic of the motor Don. My camera is down. Some guys here have no idea what she looks like. :ph43r:
Thanks
WinnipegStPaul9

1st Proto liquifire

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

OK, here's the picture of the perculator, er engine. What Ed's email didn't say is whether the coffee was regular or decaf...................DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JRC ETD

1st Proto liquifire

Post by JRC ETD »

Yup...Reed valve momo-block.....shame on Henry Dryfus design for taking a size 2 to a size 14! JRC
ICCSF 108

1st Proto liquifire

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Hey Don, who's knees are thoughts & was he praying over it or what?

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
tieszo6

1st Proto liquifire

Post by tieszo6 »

Wow, that is an attractive powerplant.

Mark
ICCSF 108

1st Proto liquifire

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Hey Chuck once you get her started (motor fired) put it up on U-tube so everyone can hear her running..

Kenny
tieszo6

1st Proto liquifire

Post by tieszo6 »

So here's my question, how was this acquired? Anytime I've been involved with Deere and prototypes, its been tighter than fort knox.

Mark
JoeRainville

1st Proto liquifire

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

I outsmarted myself on that motor, and Chuck was smart enough to know I was wrong about it. The motor showed up on Evil-Bay a few years ago, and it was thought to be an early prototype Dator motor.

So, I took a good hard look at, and determained it wasn't a Dator motor. It looked a lot like sand cast jugs on a KEC 340/22 case reed bottom end. The Dator was piston ported. This motor had machined parts to hold the water pump, not castings. I thought it "might" be an early attempt at a LF motor, but really wasn't sure.

Chuck had seen pic's of this motor in an artical about "The birth of a Snowmobile" that showed a pic the proto motor before HDA added 20 lbs of mass in the name of "Industrial Engineering". He knew it was run in a 340/s as Deere's first L/C developement sled, and won it on Evil Bay.

It went to a good home, and Chuck lets me visit it once or twice per year. I think it's great that it will end up in a "new" 1975 Prototype 340/s! Nice work Chuck!

-Joe "I hate being wrong" Rainville

;)

PS: Funny how this motor looks a bit like the 80 Kawi 440 motor Deere used in the Liquifire. I guess Kawi wasn't interested in adding 20 lbs to their motors!
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Wildfire II

1st Proto liquifire

Post by Wildfire II »

Rich you forgot one scenario!! Some items never made it to the sale!! Like the test dept. pre Sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ED

PS: The big IF WE WOULD HAVE KNOWEN back then what today would be like
I500

1st Proto liquifire

Post by I500 »

Mark.... Kinda like finding a Dator that just needs a little crank work. Need to be in the right place at the right time and know what your lookinhg at. Oh ya.. Its always good to have strong allies like Kenny Heins to help secure items.
kioritz

1st Proto liquifire

Post by kioritz »

Tasky and I were down at Dicks Marine and eyeballed that engine while picking up a couple of NOS 340RS/2 mills a few years back. (We knew Chuck was the owner).Definitely a cool oddball prototype. Jason
tieszo6

1st Proto liquifire

Post by tieszo6 »

Easy Chuck you might make me cry... again. If I didn't know it was going to a good place I wouldn't have given it up so easily. I was much happier to see it together and running again than have it sit in the shed for another 4 years till I found a crank for it. How did it perform for ya this year? The flat bars look real sharp too.

;)

Mark