building a small groomer puller

For hobbies other then snowmobiles.
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

I recently began constructing a twin track sled to pull my 52" drag. I've been using a Polaris Widetrack to pull it for the last couple years. It does a fine job, but I wanted something with a cab and a heater to make the task a bit more comfortable. Here's a pic of what I have accomplished so far. It's two Polaris SKS tracks with ITS suspensions from the 94 Polaris sleds. I'm still pondering how to construct the ski suspension and front frame member, but I'm pretty certain it'll be a widened front end from a Thundercat. I'll be powering this rig with a Fugi 440 liquid coupled to a hi/low/reverse transmission from a Polaris Sportsman 700 ATV. Probably will be geared for about 30 mph in high and approx 12 in low. The ski steering will be via an electric linear actuator operated by a joystick. I'm hoping to have a ground pressure of slightly less than 0.5 pound/square inch, but I know the weight will add up quickly and it might be a struggle to keep the ground pressure that low. I will have about 2340 square inches of surface area with the tracks and the skiis. I hope to have it ready to run by next season. I'll see how it works then and may decide to redo it for the following year using aluminum for the frame if it seems too heavy. I'm hoping it'll steer ok without a differential as I didn't like the extra weight a diff would add. I think if I can get the right amount of weight on the skiis combined with some really aggressive carbides, it should steer reasonably well. Wish me luck.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Pete, looks like you'll need more room in you garage once you get going on that twin tracker so why don't you give me that sled in the back round to make more room :rolleyes:
I'll even pick it up

;)
Kenny

Also I might suggest a spider gear system ( I don't know what else it would have been called) in that front drive shaft so you'll be able to turn easier, the old 1950 or 60 JD corn planters ( Not sure of the planter number, but it was a 4 row planter ) had one that would I think would be the same shaft size as you are using... Just a thought..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Jack Frost

Post by Jack Frost »

Sorry Kenny, but Pete already said I could have it and that he would deliver it! Free! What a nice guy that Pete is.

:D Keep us posted on the progress of that groomer, it looks like it will turn out very nice!

Dave
1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Nice as I am

:) , I'm not quite ready to give the Dator away yet. Somehow I'll find the space for it. But the way the parts are adding up for this rig, I might end up having to sell a couple sleds to afford to finish this project......so go ahead and make me an absurdly high offer on a Dator (or a Sunfire). Kenny, I'm not at all familiar with corn planters ......I'd sure be interested in knowing how that spider gear system works. I'm going to try it like this first and if turning is a prob, it's nice to know of some other solutions. The driveshaft is a solid 1 1/8" chrome shaft and the sprockets are NOS John Deere 8 tooth 2.52 pitch ones from the JDX/00 series.......so it has a little green blood in it (in addition to a considerable amount of my red stuff when I gashed myself trying to install a suspension). I'm going to start butchering the T/Cat front end tomorrow and see if I can widen it 10 inches or so.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Pete, you have mail.

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Kenny, I just checked my mail and found nothing. Please try again or better yet, email it to me at ziggy_snowdust2000@yahoo.ca
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Pete, I just sent it to your email, let me know if you get it..

Kenny
Spitfireguy

Post by Spitfireguy »

4/6 that is a good project. I am into welding and maufacturing and that looks really good. for the carbites. an old trick my ol man tought me years ago. if you have some over sized chainsaw (round) files ,weld thoes to the runners and you got the best carbites youll ever have. keep us updated with pics on this project!
tipitup

Post by tipitup »

my friend has built something similar he has a web site at www.litetrax.com. Is that similar?
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

tipitup, I just checked out your buddy's website. That's a really neat machine he built. Mine will be somewhat larger with skiis at the front for steering and with a full cab, heater, etc. But a similar concept in that they are both compact utility twin trackers designed to do a similar job. Thanks for the link. It gives me some ideas.
jdsledwheelman

Post by jdsledwheelman »

heres a picture of a cool looking tracked tractor that was for sale on ebay. would make a nice groomer puller for around someones property with the blade and someone good with fabrication could have made a nice cab. MOLE
72 500
73 600
74 295/s, JDX6
75 340/s, 400, JDX8
76 440 liquifire
77 440 cyclone spitfire
78 spitfire x2
79 spitfire
80 spitfire x3, liquifire x2, sportfire
81 spitfire
82 sprintfire, spitfire, 340 trailfire x2
83 snowfire
84 sprintfire, snowfire, trailfire lx
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

Thats a cool looking tractor. BOB
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

I spent the last day cutting up and widening the T/Cat front end. I spread it out 9" in hopes of getting some stability out of this contraption. It'll require some reinforcing due to the added width, but I'll get to that later. Our local snowmobile club used to host it's own version of Junkyard Wars the last weekend of every July. I participated on a team once and had a great time. This is starting to feel just as much fun, but a bit more relaxed since I have all summer to do it. Not sure just yet how I'm going to attach the front end to the main chassis.....just hoping a good idea springs into my head. Anybody have any theories on how far the skiis should be placed ahead of the tracks for this thing to steer?
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Pete, I was just wondering, what do you plan on using to propel this contraption??

Kenny
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Kenny, I will be using a 440 liquid cooled twin from a 94 Polaris Indy 440. I needed something liquid cooled in order to run a heater in the cab. I chose the 440 Polaris mill because I feel it should have sufficient power with the gearing I intend to use. Also, the standard Polaris 440 L/C engine (not the XC/XCR mill) tends to be very reasonable on fuel and quite reliable. I'll be using a P90 drive clutch from an Indy Sport feeding a P90 driven from a Polaris Sportsman 500 mounted to a transmission from a Sportsman 700. The transmission output shaft will be running a chain drive over to a jackshaft above the LH side of the track driveshaft. There will be a short chaincase installed on the LH side of the driveshaft. I'm pretty confident the Sportsman hi/low/reverse tranny should be up to the task. We'll see how the engine works out. I'd really like to use a 4-stroke 660 out of a Cat (non turbo), but I have a couple of the LC Polaris 440's on hand, so I don't feel like buying an engine if what I have will work.