New member saying just sayin hey

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Sledsrock

Post by Sledsrock »

Hey everyone, just checking in.. seems like a cool forum and good group of people here :beers; I will soon be taking on a John Deer liquifire project soon as I can get my hands on one. I know where there are a few, just a matter of time :dance:

The JD Liquifire was my childhood sled and I've always liked them. Unfortunately back then I didn't have the tools or know how to keep it running. It was mint and had only 800 kms on when we sold it. That sled was so hard to start (for a 10 year old) and wasn't very reliable, it was too risky to leave the property with it! So now that I am an adult and have the knowledge to keep one running I want a second chance on one. Should be fun, and I'm sure you guys will be hearing back from me soon! :letitsnow: :sled: :canadasmile:

Here is the only pic I have of the sled, can anyone identify the exact year? Also, it was sold from the farm in the picture in Putnam Ontario... maybe possible someone here owns it? far out chance I know..

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/02YZ426/JMLiquifire.jpg
Last edited by Sledsrock on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitardude081

Post by guitardude081 »

Welcome aboard. It looks to me like you had a 1980 Liquifire. It was a good sled, but the '82-'84's had a few updates that made them even better. 1980 Liquifires seem to pop up the most. You shouldn't have a hard time finding one that just needs a little TLC.
~Jack
Owner, Durand Motorsports
1980 Trailfire 340 (Grandpa bought new)
1983 Trailfire LX
1982 Spitfire (Grandpa bought new)
(3)1974 295/S
1975 340/S
(2) 1978 Liquifire
2003 Ski Doo Renegade 600HO
1993 Polaris XLT Special with AAEN pipes
2020 Polaris Indy 600 XC 129 40th Anniversary Edition
1980 Liquifire (currently in pieces)
Sledsrock

Post by Sledsrock »

Thanks, just curious what some of those upgrades might be?
Last edited by Sledsrock on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Frost

Post by Jack Frost »

Welcome fellow Canuck. :canada: You have a wealth of knowledge here at your finger tips about John Deere sleds. It's a bunch of great guys!

Dave
Last edited by Jack Frost on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
b00stinGTP

Post by b00stinGTP »

Some of the major performance changes for the 82-84 Liquifires were a different clutch, and a more performance oriented ignition system.
Sleds I own
1974 John Deere JDX8. (SOLD)
1975 John Deere JDX4. (SOLD)
1977 John Deere Liquifire 440. (SOLD)
1978 John Deere Cyclone 340. (SOLD)
1980 John Deere Liquifire. (SOLD)
1983 John Deere Liquifire.
That Girl Racing

Post by That Girl Racing »

Quite a few members in Southern Ontario. Peter
jdsledhead

Post by jdsledhead »

Welcome aboard! I am East of you Canadias in Pendleton, NY. (Due East of Niagara Falls) I have a few parts liquifires and maybe selling a project 1980 Liquifire if you need something.
Later,
tim
Tim Kudla

73 JDX4
80 Spitfire
82 Trailfire 340
84 Trailfire 440
10 SnoPro 500
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Welcome to the site neighbor..I am way to the south of ya..Iowa (John Deere Country)..There is an unbelievable amount of information aboard here for all of us to learn together.. Frankie :brrr: ((Keep an eye on Jack Frost,,He got hit in the head with a pipe for messing around here in the states.and I don't think he has recovered)) :lol22: :roll: :canada:
Sledsrock

Post by Sledsrock »

:beers;

Quick question. Why do some of the 1980 Liquifires have the hump on the seat and some others don't?
Jack Frost

Post by Jack Frost »

Someone probably switched it with a Trailfire seat. Don't listen to that River Rat, he has been into the shine and river water since he was knee high to a grass hopper! :roll: :beers; :usa:
1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Welcome aboard! This might be the only internet site in which it's ok to meet the members face to face!! LOL
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Sledsrock,

Welcome to our site. Deere built about 8,900 1980 Liquifires, so they are the easiest of the 80-84's to find. It was the only year of the black tunnel. Production dropped off steadily until they only built 420 84's.

They are very sensative to dirty carbs and worn drive belts, and miss-jetting, but fun, light and good handling sleds. All 80-84 Liquifires (and the 78 too) came with the one up seat with the notch on the back. The Trailfire seat is a "2-up" seat but it fits in place of both the Liquifire and Sportfire seat.

As for Don's comment above, the past two years several of us have met up at the Hay Days shows and gone for dinner afterward. To quote Don: "I went out to dinner with a bunch of guys I met on the internet..." Yikes, sound funny even typing that, LOL!

Take Frankies advice, somebody hit the "Jack Frost" guy in the head with a pipe one time too many. However, if you want your turn I am having a sale on them...

-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Deere Me

Post by Deere Me »

Sledsrock, welcome to the board. I am a fellow Canadian and live close to you in Waterloo Ontario. As far as postings go, I have very few messages but can assure you that any question you may have on John Deere sleds will be answered here. I noticed you live in Ayr, my vintage sleds are stored in a barn just south of Ayr. Last weekend myself and a buddy traveled to The A1 Show and Swap meet in Michigan where I met several members on here. My collection consists of several number series sleds, an X4, 2 Cyclones, a Sprintfire and 2 Liquifires, a 78 and an 80 model. I will be attending the Peterboro Slederama and its an excellent show and swap. Cheers, Richard
Sledsrock

Post by Sledsrock »

Deere Me wrote:Sledsrock, welcome to the board. I am a fellow Canadian and live close to you in Waterloo Ontario. As far as postings go, I have very few messages but can assure you that any question you may have on John Deere sleds will be answered here. I noticed you live in Ayr, my vintage sleds are stored in a barn just south of Ayr. Last weekend myself and a buddy traveled to The A1 Show and Swap meet in Michigan where I met several members on here. My collection consists of several number series sleds, an X4, 2 Cyclones, a Sprintfire and 2 Liquifires, a 78 and an 80 model. I will be attending the Peterboro Slederama and its an excellent show and swap. Cheers, Richard
Cool, one day we will have to plan to hit the trails together :beers; by the way, want to sell me that liquifire :pray: LoL
Deere Me

Post by Deere Me »

Send me a pm, maybe we can meet at Slederama in Peterboro.